Water Pump Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Failure

So while loading my newspaper bundles early this morning, I got out to get another that I had forgot and saw a square foot of wet pavement.... Joy.

Any tips/directions on replacing the water pump? Any help is appreciated before I dig in to a car I'm not 100% familiar with design wise. Thanks!!
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

In this thread I describe how I lowered my engine in car to get to the front engine parts, remove them and begin to change a crank seal. This is pretty much what you might need to get more room, or "different space" to put in a new WP. The WP goes just above the crank seal area.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-03-2011, 07:17 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

The pulley is held on by 3 bolts and spins freely so you can't get any leverage to turn them. I wedge a long screwdriver between two bolts to hold the wheel still while loosening the 3rd bolt.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You don't have to lower the engine to do this, but sometimes it helps.

you'll need a mid sized pry bar, a 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet with short and long 10mm sockets, 12mm wrench, 14mm wrench, a long #2 philips screwdriver, hammer, a 17mm socket, 6-8" extention, hydrolic jack, RTV, a gasket scraper, Brake clean, a drain pan and new coolent.

Procedure:
        Let engine cool
        Remove radiator pressure cap
        Drain coolent via the radiator drain plug
        With the accessory belt still on, attempt to pop the 3 pulley bolts loose with the ratchet and short 10mm socket. if the pulley spins, place the pry bar on the inside of the head on the lowest bolt of the pulley and on the outside of the next bolt in line going clockwise. then with the 10mm ratchet on the remaining bolt, loosen it. repeat the procedure 2 more times for the other bolts.
        Rremove the accessory belt using the 12mm wrench at the Alternator upper tentioner bolt (loosening it enough to allow the belt to slip off the pulley).
        Remove water pump pulley bolts and pulley
        Remove upper timing belt cover (5 bolts?)

Now here's where it's different... (i'll describe the job using the lowering the engine part).
        Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right (or lift that corner and remove the wheel)
        There should be a debris shield in the lower part of the wheel well in front of the axle assembly, remove it (2 10mm bolts and possibly a plastic retainer).
        With the jack, apply LIGHT pressure to the oil pan, you don't want to lift the engine, just hold in place.
        Go to the passenger side engine mount and remove the three 17mm nuts and loosen the 14mm bolt.
        Peal the mount out of the way
        Lower the engine till it touches the frame
        Remove the 4 10mm bolts from the crank pulley
        Take the long philips and impact the 2 screws loose on the crank pulley (hence the hammer). Don't try to just unscrew them, you'll strip the heads.
        lift the engine again and remove the crank pully and lower timing cover (3 10mm bolts?)

Now you have access to your timing belt
        If you need to replace the belt, you'll need to remove the crank bolt (21mm and impact gun) do this before the next step
        Rotate the timing belt via the cam bolt (14mm?) untill the 2 marks on the cam pulley are at the 12 and 3 o'clock positions
        Verify that the crank timing mark is at the 12 o'clock position (if not, rotate the cam pulley 360* and recheck
        Take 12mm wrench and loosen tentioner bolt
        With your pry bar, push the tentioner away from the belt and retighten the bolt
        Slide the belt off the cam pulley and bend it out of the way
        If you need to replace the belt, you'll need to remove the crank bolt (21mm and impact gun) do this before the next step

You now have access to the water pump (5 10mm bolts to the block and 2 12mm bolts to the lower hose housing.
        Remove the water pump, scrape off excess gasket, clean area with brake clean.

Install the water pump and reverse removal procedure.
        Burp the system
        Last edited by Pu241; 03-04-2011, 06:17 PM.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

THANK YOU very much Festyboy!!!! Plan on it this weekend pending weather.
          Buck.
          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

I may have had too much Brandy, but didn't you skip over the timing belt ?
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

NM, Karl got that in his thread, didn't he?
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

oh lord i was tired when typing that, YES i forgot the timing belt.

process for timing belt R&R (i'll have a Mod insert this into the instructions)
                Now you have access to your timing belt
                Rotate the timing belt via the cam bolt (14mm?) untill the 2 marks on the cam pulley are at the 12 and 3 o'clock positions
                Verify that the crank timing mark is at the 12 o'clock position (if not, rotate the cam pulley 360* and recheck
                Take 12mm wrench and loosen tentioner bolt
                With your pry bar, push the tentioner away from the belt and retighten the bolt
                Slide the belt off the cam pulley and bend it out of the way

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Im in the process of changing my timing belt and I am also going to put a new water pump in since I have it tore apart. Its actually a piece of cake except one unmentionable problem that everyone knows about. Good luck. If you have any problems with your crank bolt (I don't know if 91 is same) but if you do, read my post. Lots of info there for it, lol. Do it like Festyboy said and you shouldn't have any problems.
                  Last edited by milehighbear; 03-04-2011, 06:24 PM.
                  Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                  93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                  01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Good lord! Sounds pretty involved. Maybe I'll take it to my local mechanic. He's cheap. I'll buy the parts. Any particular brands better than others?
                    Buck.

Comment

not really involved, i can have one out and in in under an hour with hand tools (doesn't include refilling/burping the system).

Comment

Your never going to be free of the "the man" if you don't learn to do simple maintenance on your own.
                        Besides, you have this whole site helping you, and if you talk nice there are a few member close by you who have done this before, if you need hand holding.
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I am by far helpless.... I've done head gaskets on a 3 year old car. Lower intake gaskets on half a dozen cars. A whole lot of other stuff.

I use this car every day, and with as old and crusty this car is, I can see me having many stuck bolts, stripped screws, bolts split in half, etc. That could set me back without the Festy for weeks on my schedule, not to mention much displeasure in this weather...... A mechanic/shop is much more prepared for this crap than I am in an apartment parking lot..

I may still do it. I am going to check his pricing. Calm down people. LOL!
                          Buck.

Comment

Just spent $70 bucks on Rockauto. Water pump, drivers front parking light housing, gasket, air filter, PCV valve, etc.

It finally gave up the ghost, the coolant ruined the belt so it wasn't charging.
                            Buck.

Comment

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Forgot the timing belt!!!!
                              Buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X