Crankshaft Pulley...how to remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft Pulley...how to remove?

Im workin on replacing the head gasket on my 93 Festy L. I have a Haynes manual for the 88-97 festiva/aspire. In the diagram for the removal of the crankshaft pulley, it says I need to first, remove 4 bolts. I did that. Next it says, remove the crankshaft outer pulley retaining washer. I did that..but the washer that came off only had 4 bolt holes, 1 hole for a notch on the other pulley (most likely to align it) and then the bigger hole in the middle. The washer in the book has 6 smaller holes on the outside, not 5, also in the wrong pattern. Well next it says to remove 2 small screws to remove the inner pulley and its inner spacer. But, there is no screws. None. Ive looked for like 30 minutes, with flashlights and even had my girlfriend look. Nothin. But yet the only bolt or anything I can see is the crankshaft bolt (I think) which is in the middle and doesnt llok like its holding the pulley on. But believe me that sucker is not comin off....So anyone know whats goin on or does anybody have the same problem?

if you took the 4 10mm bolts off and there were no philips head screws, then the pulley should just slip off. the crank bolt only holds the lower timing cog onto the crank, that's it.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Well wtf...I did what u said. Thats what I thought too but i was tapping around the pulley with a tool and it didnt budge, the washer just came loose. Are these pulleys known to get real stuck? And one more thing to add, I noticed theres springs on the rocker arm shaft...but its a 1993. In 1990 they were supposed to use hydraulic lash adjusters. Maybe the engine was swapped from previous owner??

Comment

Thanks Festy problem fixed. Just had to use some real elbow grease n some pry bars. But all is done and onto the head gasket!

Comment

the springs on the rocker shafts are to locate the rockers only (sometimes a nylon tube was used for the same perpose), you still have HLAs, those are the little nubs that contact the valve stem head.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by DankBuds420 View Post
            I noticed theres springs on the rocker arm shaft...but its a 1993. In 1990 they were supposed to use hydraulic lash adjusters. Maybe the engine was swapped from previous owner??
            The picture below is an engine with mechanical lifters. If you don't have the slotted (for screwdriver) screw and nut that is marked in the picture, then you have hydraulic lifters.
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Working...
            X