No announcement yet.

Bad Alternator? OR? - Need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I know this is a old thread, but its exactly what mine was doing before I replaced the alternator today. Now it sounds like there is a turbo on it... and its only charging at 13, not 14.5 like most say. Also I think my water pump is going out, is squeeling like no other. Driving my truck is killing me...

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
      Yes I know this is a old thread, but its exactly what mine was doing before I replaced the alternator today. Now it sounds like there is a turbo on it... and its only charging at 13, not 14.5 like most say. Also I think my water pump is going out, is squeeling like no other. Driving my truck is killing me...
      So you are still having charging issues's? The whining is it cuz you have the belt to tight?
      Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-11-2011, 05:35 AM.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Yeah I guess I am having charging issues if its supposed to charge higher. The belt isn't tight though, we think its also the water pump bearing going out too

Comment

Yes it should be @ 14.5
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I've gone through 2 alternators on my girlfriend's 323. It was a headache to get both a cheap and reliable alternator in one.

If you let the battery die to the point where the engine was stuttering, the lights were so dim you couldn't see them and the radio was turning off... Recharge the battery with a charger! It puts a lot of strain on the alternator to recharge the battery.

The cheap alternator ($25!) that I got the first time did well for a week or two but I didn't know to charge the battery at home. That one went up in smoke in the left hand turn lane and she stopped traffic for an hour until I could get there. Her hazards didn't even flash by that time... Not to mention I got in a fender bender trying to get there...

The second time, I went to the McParts store and bought one with a warranty for five times the price. Peace of mind, I guess. I recharged the battery at home and haven't had a problem since.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

So what would be the problem? They tested the alternator before they gave it to me, passed everything. Is my car not sending enough power to it?

Comment

If the alternator has been tested good, the belt is tensioned correctly and the engine is spinning it....

Check the plugs on the back of the alternator.

Check the ground wire between the engine and the passenger's side shock tower.

Check the fuses/fusible links.

Check the battery connections.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                X