Auto Neutral Safety Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Neutral Safety Switch

I'm sick and tired of fighting the lever to get my car started. How can I bypass the neutral safety switch in my automatic?

you can't.... j/k have to hardwire the switched closed, but i don't recomend this. i would first try to replace the switch.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

perhaps there is some adjustment?

Comment

I've had it adjusted three times now. It still stops working right in a week or two.

Comment

There is a good chance that it is the contacts inside the switch that aren't working properly, in which case no amount of adjustment is going to help. I don't know if the switch is on the trans or the shifter, but if its on the shifter you can probably open it up and try to clean the contacts. If its on the trans its probably encased in metal and not about to open though. I had to take apart and clean the one on my wife's volvo, same type of problem you're having. Its working fine now

Edit: just looked it up and its on the trans. Have you tried testing the switch for proper operation while its out of the trans?
          Last edited by htchbck; 03-08-2011, 06:58 AM.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I posted this problem shortly after spraying DeOxit into the ignition key-hole and the contacts in the engine bay. It kept having the problem starting for two days later and then the problem totally disappeared. I think it was the contacts in the ignition switch.

Comment

Working...
            X