No announcement yet.

27mpg 93Festy :( Whats wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Festyboy Im in the process of all of that. Darlo, damn your lucky I wish I could even touch on your worst mpg haha.

Comment

Denso unit huh whats that? Isnt 1.5" stock exhaust anyways? So replace cat with pipe? And lets see the timing umm Im not sure about the timing gun. Do you need to disable electronic timing to adjust the dizzy? or ehat idk im confused n drunk right now sorry guys.

Comment

denso is the brand you should use for replacing your o2 sensor, the bosch doesn't to the trick for our cars. as far as the cat, i'm saying you might want to relieve it of SOME (not all) of it's material. the 1.5" pipe fits in the inlet side quite well without removing too much material, the factory pipe AFTER the cat just happens to be 1.5" as well. the timing has to be locked out by grounding a connector before adjusting the dizzy.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok so adjusting the dizzy like I already did, didnt do anything? Where is this connector I need to ground?

Comment

Get yourself a Haynes manual at the McParts store. Everyone should have that at least. Turn to page 1-17 and look at the lower left picture. There is an arrow in the picture pointing to the right connector (the one-wire connector--there are also a couple of two-wire connectors there too, near the brake booster/master cylinder), and it also tells you how to hook it up. That section actually has to do with checking idle speed, but that is the picture you need.

On page 5-6 is the info about checking ignition timing. The pic on that page is only for Aspires tho.
            Last edited by TominMO; 03-22-2011, 07:01 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have the Haynes manual..but Im not using a timing light.

Comment

then what's the point, you need a timing light to set your timing otherwise you're just guessing and that's worthless. You're not helping your cause here Dank, get off the bud and use your head.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Well I had my dad do it actually and hes been doing it for over 30 years now. Yeah its different than the old v8s and what not, and he told me it might not even work. But he tried it anyways and it started running more smooth and felt like it has more low end torque now. So I figured my timing was retarded pretty bad but it could still be off a little obviously becuase he did it by ear. Thanks for the help man but honestly so far Ive felt very unwelcome here. Kinda like its a group of friends stickin up for each other and the people like me get treated like theyre nothin. I really want to learn and just beacuse I smoke weed doesnt make me stupid dumb or slow. So Id really appreciate if people wouldnt judge me by that.

Comment

I don't think people mind the way you recreate, but just keep it in the appropriate parts of the forums (arena).

We were all noobs at one point and may have felt the same way. Sorry if you're having a rough start, but there is a lot of information here. Stick around!

The one thing I will say is we will not spoon feed you. Search is key.
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Setting the timing by ear risks having it too advanced for regular-grade fuel. Get it set right, with a timing light, then you know what fuel you can get away with.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

i have to appologize Dank, but seeing what people do to their cars every day has made me a bit jaded...

i can't stand to watch someone do something to a car that's wrong when they're given the information to do it correctly and get the results they want the first time. now there's something to be said for trial and error, but it needs to be done in a systematic way to achieve a positive outcome.

if i seem to come off as aloof or harsh, its because i want to see a positive outcome the first time, this will encourage trying more chanenging tasks in the future.

Comment

Yeah I understand what you mean. Thats cool though and I feel the same way as you, Im taking small steps and being careful.

Comment

Working...
                          X