A/C 134 or R12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C 134 or R12

I have a '93 GL. Does anyone know if its going to be 134 or R12 and how can I find out if it could be either way. According to my book it should be R12 which sucks but this car seems like it was maybe a real late 1994 because some of the engine compartment stuff is located a little different.
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Most air conditioned cars have a label either on the very front of the engine compartment or on a shock tower specifying oil, refrigerant, and charge amount, but I'll assume that it has disappeared.
    The big give-away is the service ports. Remove the caps from the ports and take a look. One port should be on or near the accumulator can, the other on one of the lines coming from the compressor. R-12 used a schrader valve (like a tire valve stem), R-134a uses a quick attach coupler (like air tools). If it has couplers screwed onto schrader valves then it has been retrofitted to R-134a. If a shop did the retrofit, they're supposed to put a label over top of the old one.
    91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
    92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
    95 Grand Prix SE DD
    Wife's Stuff:
    89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
    97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
    Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Ok I'll take a closer look at it. There weren't any caps on them but it looked like a quick coupler right on top on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Assuming thate my low side. So it looks like I might get lucky with it.

Comment

the car was orginally equipped with r-12 i dont think they started to use 134a til the mid 90's, now that doesnt mean at one time someone may have converted your car to 134a,, you will know if its 134a buy the size of the shrager valve, when adding 134a you have to put bigger adapters on

Comment

R134 started in 1994 or 1995, depending on the car model I think. Definitely not 1993.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If you do retrofit to 134A remember it only takes 20 to 21.5 oz of freon not 24oz. the reason is, the molecules in 134 are larger than the R12 and takes less to fill the system. Good luck
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

So it does have one of the screw on adapters to it. It was R-12 originally at least. Is there any way that I can tell if it was actually converted over right?

Comment

Check the fire wall and see if a tech put up a tag saying it was converted, i'll try and get a pic of mine for you, any way if it has a tag it will be on the left side of the fire wall.
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

R12/r143a

I have a '93L, & its 134. Not converted, no adapters. I called an A/C shop & ask. The Mang. said bring it in, He looked at it & confermed 134. Told me to go to a parts store & buy a kit, that it would be cheaper than the shops prices. $27.+ change at McPepboys. The chart says '93L's do not have A/C. It looks factory.;-)
                  If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

It's probably a dealer installed unit, just as good as factory.

Comment

Mine is a '93 GL it has a R12 decals and the screw on adaptor but no other decals on it. I might just have the guys in town take a look and see what they think. I've got a gauge that I use on the others to fill them and some 134 its not hot enough yet I just want to get it figured out before it does.

Comment

Working...
                      X