No announcement yet.

Weber conversion Q's (Many Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2-I, the RED wire, laying on the concrete that you unplugged from the alternator goes to the electric choke. Hang on to that, let one of the other guys tell you how to hook it up to your new carb, which I am NOT familiar with.

Doing a good job.
    .........:thumbright:.......

Last edited by boydg1; 03-21-2011, 07:42 PM.
    A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Simple answer--you only need:

the PCV,
      the breather line (E in your first post--either a breather filter, or a hose plumbed into the air filter housing),
      the two vacuum hoses going to the vacuum advance on the disty,
      the fuel line, and
      a 12V source (when the engine is running) for the electric choke.

Get rid of the rest.

The two metal pipes coming up from below in 2L, just connect to each other with a hose. Later you can do something nicer-looking with them.
      Last edited by TominMO; 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Doyle, take that wiring harness, the one in all the pictures, wind it up in a ball, and zip tie it up into the drivers side corner. YOU DONT NEED ANY OF IT!
        As told before by Tom and myself, you only need the the PCV, the breather line and the 2 vacuum lines to disty. Really, we are not messin with you!
        You will only need the 1 electrical line, and that is the RED one from alternator to the choke on the carb. Put a 1/4" wire connector on that red wire and attach to choke. Then go for a drive!

I took some pics of my harness for you, I think you will recognize the connectors!

Your engine should look something like this
        I still havent gotten rid of the EGR valve, but I will!
        Also notice the RED wire to the choke here.

The hoses to the old air breather, you can see here, I removed the short one and looped the long one to where the short one was temporarily. Just a bypass now.

I have a lot of close-up pics of the vacuum lines to disty if you need and how I plugged all the ones I dont use. Just ask!
        Last edited by drddan; 03-22-2011, 10:15 AM.
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Ok, so I took care of the 2 metal lines. I could not for the life of me break the big bolt loose on the shorter line so I ended up hacking that bracket off. I then pushed the smaller one back towards the firewall a little and connected them with a hose as was suggested. I also removed all the wire clips and zip-tied them up like was mentioned. I removed the charcoal canister as well, which is where the following question comes in... Where does the hose attached to the metal line go to? Is that just the fuel tank return or something? Does it need capped off or just let it hang there or...? I am getting ready to try putting in the hose barb into the pcv connection as suggested and I will let you all know how that goes. Pics are on the way but I'm on my iPod right now so I can't load them at the moment. Thanks
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

:thumbup:.... Beautiful PICS drddan what kind of camera did you use.

Comment

Thanks!
              My birthday camera from my sons! 10 megapixel Kodak C142. It is amazing.
              Especially compared to the one I had previously. A no name that always looked like I was taking pics in a fog.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Ok, well, I got it installed, but no pics yet... teasing for now until it runs right. I think I may have a problem with my timing. I can get it to "start" for a second, but then it dies. I tried turning the disty a little bit, and it got worse. I would then not start at all and it sounded like it was locking up the starter like it was wanting to fire in the opposite direction.

Ok, so as you can see from the following picture, the disty is all the way counter-clockwise. I moved it to the mid-way point, and that is when it started to lock the starter up. I moved it back first to 1/4 way, and then to where it was, and it will still only run for like 2-3 seconds. Is this a timing issue do you think? Or, is it something else? I wasn't too sure about the choke, so I have adjusted it a little too, but still nothing. When it locks up the starter, and I shut it off, I can see a little smoke rolling out of the carb. I'm sure the locking up thing is timing, but why won't it run? Very aggrivating, as I have been working on swapping that damned carb for 3 days now, and finally got the right hoses (that aren't worn and rotted), and got the choke figured out, and actually had time before the darkness or rain hit. I was sooooo pumped and ready to fire this bad boy up, but no such luck.

The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:

Comment

.... Before you moved the distributor at all, did you scribe a mark so you could go BACK to the original location?:?: Was it running OK before you changed the the position of the distributor?:?:

Comment

i'm more worried about the timing belt shifting a few teeth... you should verify your mechanical timing (even if you didn't touch it). also verify your spark wire position on the dizzy.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The disty was all the way cc-wise before. I have not checked the mechanical timing yet but if the weather permits I will tomorrow. Would you guys agree that this may be what is keeping it from staying running? I'm sure that's what was locking it up just not about the running issue. It hasn't ran right since my mom ran it out of gas. I replaced the filter on the firewall and figured the carb was clogged so that's why I got this one.

My Fleet:

Comment

Still not sure about the timing, but I did get to hear it breath life for a solid minute tonight! I ended up removing the hose from the tank to the pump, and connected a hose to the pump going to my gas can with seafoam in it. It ran for a second and would die... I had the GF start it, while I was under the hood, and I played with the throttle( my cable was too short, so I need to get a bracket fabbed up to get the pedal hooked back up) to keep it running. I am hoping that maybe the carb. just had some dust in it from sitting around, and the seafoam took care of it. I ran out of gas in the can, and daylight to reconnect the tank and stuff back up, so I guess I will find out tomorrrow. Any ideas what would cause it to need to be "pumped" to stay running? Is it like I was thinking about the carb just needing cleaned out a bit with the seafoam? I hope so, because just hearing it run, almost brought a tear to my eye.... my baby boy is back! Pics coming when its all cleared up!

My Fleet:

Comment

Your disty should not be that far CCW. Your timing belt is off a tooth....or 2.
                          You need to reset the timing. Do you have a Haynes manual? Haynes does a good job showing how to set the timing correctly. I did it at deer camp last Nov. when my belt broke. I had to lay in the cold dirt with borrowed tools and it was pretty easy. I bought a 2nd Haynes manual, along with the belt. Mine was 130 miles away.
                          Dan

R.I.P.
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

.... I have a question for you if you don't mind answering. In this "POST #15", HOW did you post full screen multiple pics??:?: This sure would make it a lot easier in explaining a detailed circumstance.

Thanks
                            .:angel11:.

Last edited by boydg1; 03-26-2011, 08:08 AM.

Comment

just use the img code function followed by the location of the image, and hit enter, then paste in the img code again, and repeat. The pictures were resized with photobucket to 640X480. Hope this helps.

My Fleet:

Comment

.... I am having trouble following your instructions. I found " Insert Image " from the menu above but I have yet to find "img code". What I do get is " http:// " am I missing something?:?:

Thanks again

Originally posted by doylerl View Post
                                just use the img code function followed by the location of the image, and hit enter, then paste in the img code again, and repeat. The pictures were resized with photobucket to 640X480. Hope this helps.
                                Last edited by boydg1; 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X