Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLA questions

Hello all,

I think I have a HLA (hydraulic lash adjuster) that's gone south on me. I had one occasionally making a little noise on startup then quiet done fairly quickly. The other day it started out noisy, quieted down then started up again. The noise hasn't stopped since. I have a couple of questions....

If the noise is coming from the HLA would it get louder if you took of the oil filler cap?

I have a B6 with manual adjusters sitting in the back yard. Could I just switch the rocker arm assmeblies into the B3?

The best price I could get for new HLAs was about $37.00. I'm thinking a trip to Pick 'N' Pull may be in order. I know there are no FI Festivas there right now which brings me to my next question. Are the B6 &B3 HLAs interchangable?

I hope the HLA is the problem. Even though I have the B6 waiting to go in I don't have the time or the finances right now to do the swap.

I'm confident that the right answers will be forthcoming

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Hello again,

One thing I forgot to mention is that I did a Seafoam treatment no too
    long ago and have since changed the oil.

Oil has been changed every 5000km.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

I got mine for $11 from www.rockauto.com

www.auto-rx.com had cleaned my HLA enough to for them to not make noise....until winter hit. So if yours aren't too bad auto-rx may be able to help them.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Problem solved.... went to pick n pull and pulled the HLA's from an early B6. It turned out that the HLA for the #2 intake valve had collapsed so I replaced it.

Thanks for the comments.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
        X