No announcement yet.

Broken Piston Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just remember to do quick changes to your oil with HD oil to clean out the 'gunk' faster. you'll know when to stop when the valvetrain is a light gold color and no deposits. you can also add a stop leak additive ( i use CD-2) that uses rubber softeners to help with those valve guide seals.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I put in some CD-2 Stop Smoke something yesterday. Hasn't helped. My car started out only smoking in first gear this morning and was back to smoking pretty much all the time by night.
      I'm not sure which oil additive has rubber softeners. I looked at all the CD-2s and some of the others but non specifically said so I just got the one that said it stopped exhaust smoke.
      I'm going to change the oil in the morning. Is there a certain brand that you'd recommend for high detergent? Any other seal conditioning additives?
      If I remember, Ill do a compression test as well just to verify the rings are still good. Hopefully just the valve seals are the culprit.
      I plan to drive down to Waco to a Pick'n'Pull with two Festivas (they're so rare around here) tomorrow so additives should have a enough time to get circulated. About 100 miles round trip.

*edit*
      Also, there's a rattle sound coming from the engine if I start out with little has pedal (engine nearly stalls). Is this normal from a near stall, or is something inside loose...
      The car also has problems when going up grades in 5th at highway speeds. It will keep speed, even accelerate, but it will... pause/pulse/jerk like it's missing or the clutch slipping? or something. It happens very quick and intermittently. The clutch seems fine. I used the original one with 58K miles on it. The friction material had marks but they were uniform (clutch that came on donor engine had circular swirls) and the pressure plate was perfect. I sanded the flywheel before installing.
      Last edited by Oren09; 04-13-2011, 11:29 PM.
      ~Austin
      Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

This engine had set up a while, so it's taking some time for it to get back to 100%. It is progressively getting better. This was warmed up at idle and if I leave it set idling for a while it puffs, then when i take off and shift it will puff good, I may try the CD-2 in this one, I can let you know my results. It already has seafoam in the oil and it is working on cleaning up all the old oil desposits left by the degrading oil.

I have one doing about the same.http://
        Last edited by kartracer46; 04-14-2011, 04:42 AM.
        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
        82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
          I put in some CD-2 Stop Smoke something yesterday. Hasn't helped. My car started out only smoking in first gear this morning and was back to smoking pretty much all the time by night.
          I'm not sure which oil additive has rubber softeners. I looked at all the CD-2s and some of the others but non specifically said so I just got the one that said it stopped exhaust smoke.
          I'm going to change the oil in the morning. Is there a certain brand that you'd recommend for high detergent? Any other seal conditioning additives?
          If I remember, Ill do a compression test as well just to verify the rings are still good. Hopefully just the valve seals are the culprit.
          I plan to drive down to Waco to a Pick'n'Pull with two Festivas (they're so rare around here) tomorrow so additives should have a enough time to get circulated. About 100 miles round trip.

*edit*
          Also, there's a rattle sound coming from the engine if I start out with little has pedal (engine nearly stalls). Is this normal from a near stall, or is something inside loose...
          The car also has problems when going up grades in 5th at highway speeds. It will keep speed, even accelerate, but it will... pause/pulse/jerk like it's missing or the clutch slipping? or something. It happens very quick and intermittently. The clutch seems fine. I used the original one with 58K miles on it. The friction material had marks but they were uniform (clutch that came on donor engine had circular swirls) and the pressure plate was perfect. I sanded the flywheel before installing.
          Sound like you have a cracked ceramic on the plug.Bad plug wire (spark going to ground) Or you have the engine timing wrong.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I changed the oil this morning. Castrol GTX high mileage. I added Bar's Leaks Stop Leak. It said it had seal conditioner.

I compression tested the engine.
            1- 170
            2- 165
            3- 145
            4- 150
            The numbers on 1, 2, 4 are different then those I got in the junkyard, but maybe it wasn't reading right then.

I put in new spark plugs a few days ago and when I pulled them today, all but the number 2 plug were perfect. Number 2 had liquid oil on the threads and crusty black deposits all over the plug. I cleaned it up a bit, checked the gap, and put it back in for now.

I'm now going on a lengthy hour or so one way drive. We'll see how it goes
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
            X