No announcement yet.

axle seal leaking. any ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tip with any T-type oil seals, cam, crank, rear main, axle, is to never have them ride in the exact same place as the old seal did. Anyone that's changed a rear main probably notice a tiny groove in the crank, that from the seal. If you don't install the new seal quite as far as the old one you can usually get it to ride on a fresh surface.
    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by Pgh5spd View Post
      I've used National / Federal Mogul 2007N's for the last many years because since they had to order them and they were only $5 then, I got a six-pack. Except for once not seating one properly, they've never leaked on me.
      That's the brand I haves used for the past 20 festys and I've never had any leak issues.
      Maybe it's a parts brand quality thing.
      (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
        A tip with any T-type oil seals, cam, crank, rear main, axle, is to never have them ride in the exact same place as the old seal did. Anyone that's changed a rear main probably notice a tiny groove in the crank, that from the seal. If you don't install the new seal quite as far as the old one you can usually get it to ride on a fresh surface.
        Thats good advice Dennis
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I thought my axles where leaking too, it turned out to be leaking at the rear of the trans where the linkage goes into the trans, there's a o ring that was leaking.

Comment

Working...
          X