No announcement yet.

SOS 88 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you just replace the pin you may want to inspect the end of the cam for a crack at the dowel hole the pin inserts into. The last one I worked on that had a sheared pin did so because the previous owner ran it out of oil and locked the cam up in the head. The sudden stop of all things spinning broke the timing belt which in turn sheared the pin and cracked the end of the cam.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Comment

rockauto has the parts! if i can't find the part locally, i can order.

thank you so much.

Comment

hate to say it cowgirl, but that pin is NOT sheared off (it really is that short) and the lower "timing" mark is in the wrong position. the yellow mark should be closer to directly below the timing belt tentioner bolt. you're quite a few teeth off there girl! if you shine a bright light down between the plastic lower cover and the water pump, you'll see the lower timing sprocket. on the back guiding edge (lip) there will be a notch. that notch needs to line up with a small arrow that is at the 12 o'clock position on the oil pump housing.

the easiest way to correct the timing is to loosen the tentioner pulley bolt, push it back with a prybar and then tighten the bolt again. this loosens the belt enough to slip it off the cam sprocket. then you can grab the belt and rotate the crank with the belt. this also gives you the chance to inspect the teeth on the belt for wear or missing sections.

just remember to keep the cam sprocket notches at 12 and 3 o'clock to the head.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I have a spare head in the basement with a good camshaft, pin and sprocket. If you can't find one closer to ya then you're more than welcome to if for the cost of shipping, though I think last time I shipping one to the west coast it was around $40 and took close to two weeks (heavy and odd shaped). If you can't find one near you just send me a PM and I'll get it pulled for ya. Hate to see a festie broke down
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

yes, the pin really is sheared off. lol..

thank you so much for the offer.

i've got the cam.. i need the torque spec's for the rocker arm assembly.

does anyone have those?

Comment

Rocker arm shaft bolts, 16 to 21 ft-lbs. Get a Haynes manual at least. It'll save you time, hassle and money.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

IT STARTED!!!!!

Comment

Yay!!!! how's it feel to breathe live back into your festy?
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Congrats! No better feeling then starting your car back up again!
                    '90 LX

Comment

We have ignition Houston!
                      All systems nominal go for throttle up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Last edited by Pu241; 06-11-2011, 02:38 PM.
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

thank you for all the help.

i really, really appreciate it. we couldn't of done it without you.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          Yay!!!! how's it feel to breathe live back into your festy?

it feels great!

Comment

Awesome! Glad you got it fixed! Another satisfied customer LOL

Now, welcome back to the addiction :mrgreen:
                            If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                            X