Overcharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overcharging

Yesterday I had the great idea of putting some Seafoam in the engine via a vacuum line. Everything seemed to go well until I got in it this morning and the alternator light was on while driving. I dripped a little Seafoam while pouring it in and thought maybe it got on the belt and making it slip. Bought some belt dressing and sprayed the belt with no luck. When I got home I checked with my volt meter and had over 15V while idling. I either got some Seafoam in the alternator while it was running and shorted it out or it was because I over revved it for a second. I used a pipe wrench on the gas pedal to keep it running and it bounced off the rev limiter for a second or two. I suppose I should just go get a rebuilt alternator or has someone experienced this and know of a cheaper fix inside the alternator.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Sounds like the voltage regulater in the alternater isn't working anymore. Should hold at about 14 volts when running. Keep running it the way it is and you will burn up your battery.

Comment

I've had this same problem on a diffrent car. You gotta get a new alt
      '93 Red Festiva L BPT with G trans

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
        Sounds like the voltage regulater in the alternater isn't working anymore. Should hold at about 14 volts when running. Keep running it the way it is and you will burn up your battery.
        That's what I figured but wasn't sure if there was a diode or something that are common to go out in these alternators. I definitely know not to drive it with that high of a voltage. I'll have to drive my 11MPG van to work tomorrow and then the 16mpg Eagle until I get the Festiva fixed. :crybaby:
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

FIXED!!!!!!! I was going to remove the alternator and when I went to remove the one connector, it came right off. It was barely connected. I snapped it in, started the car and the light was off. Checked with a voltmeter and it was at 14.18V. That was easy. :hello1:It must have been like that since I bought the car and it was just a coincidence that it happened when it did.:wav:
          Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

One thing you can do as a temp fix if your voltage regulator isn't working: turn on accessories like lights, the heater (or A/C) and radio. That will suck up some of the voltage and hep prevent the battery from getting cooked.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
              FIXED!!!!!!! I was going to remove the alternator and when I went to remove the one connector, it came right off. It was barely connected. I snapped it in, started the car and the light was off. Checked with a voltmeter and it was at 14.18V. That was easy. :hello1:It must have been like that since I bought the car and it was just a coincidence that it happened when it did.:wav:
              must have been the feadback voltage signal not making a connection... that makes the alt think that it's not charging and it goes full field ...
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                One thing you can do as a temp fix if your voltage regulator isn't working: turn on accessories like lights, the heater (or A/C) and radio. That will suck up some of the voltage and hep prevent the battery from getting cooked.
                I know this is legitimate but it made me laugh to think of a festiva driving down the road, blaring some music while the windshield wipers are going and the hazards are flashing, etc...
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                X