No announcement yet.

Need Help with 88 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the plate down there the choke..? This is the first car I've owned, and worked on. My untrained eyes need visual confirmation :tard:

If it is, it looks closed? I also couldn't verify if the choke was recieving 7 volts. I can't get the thing to run unless it's hot, and my issue is with it being cold haha. Plus, how are you supposed to check it with the air intake assembly on? It shouldn't run with that taken off, right? I was able to at least check the wire for continuity and tests were good.
    Last edited by invader_star; 04-30-2011, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Quick photos of Steve for encouragement

Gave a Toyota Highlander a hug with my front end. Several wacks with a hammer later the hood latches again

Good 'ol carb

Comment

Yeah, the choke is closed so guess again. If it opens after the it runs for a few minutes then the electric choke is working. I'm totally guessing, maybe someone else knows, but could a bad coolant temp sensor cause it to run bad when cold?

Comment

Originally posted by invader_star View Post
          greetings, i'm the kid who broke the thing.

the only issue remaining is the sputtering and shaking when trying to start up cold. according to the Ford repair manual's troubleshooting chart, the pausible cause of "Engine starts but fails to stay running" is a loose intake manifold or damaged gasket. is it a fair guess to assume it's correct? another condition on the chart is "Idles rough", but it only does this while it's cold so I didn't think the pausible causes there would apply.
          Try the small propane torch trick around the area you think is leaking. Maybe whats happening is once the intake heats up. It expands enough to put enough pressure on the gasket to seal the leak.Then the car runs. Obviously be carefull with the propane. And yes you can run the engine with the air cleaner off for testing. Its actually easier to look around at stuff while its running. Just dont stick your face down the throat of the carb.While someone is pumping the carb and trying to start the engine. It can backfire through the carb and singe your eyebrows ( I know this ! ) Good luck
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

in the pic of the carb, the area you're pointing to is your SECONDARY barrel. the primary has the choke plate sitting up top. what you're looking at in the pic (pointing at) is the throttle plate. the piece above that is the secondary venturi. if you open up the choke plate you'll see another one in the primary barrel and to the left of that a small nozzle; that's your accelerator pump jet.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Well to followup on the "Odessey of Steve", it has been determined that Steve will live on but not in the fashion we had hoped for. The intake manifold gasket has arrived but it will take a secondary position. We located another 1988 Festy that body wise is in pretty good shape. With some work and parts shifting we will eventually get Steve up and running and send him to a new home. Will start another tread about the "new" aquistion.

Comment

Working...
              X