Clear All

ahhhh...ok
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

no i didnt figure it out. after i looked in the oil cap i can see the cam turning. but its not fluid movement it just well its like this; rrrr,1/4turn,rrrr,1/4turn,rrrr,1/4turn. if the belt tensioner came loose would it cause the slip in time with occational catch? sorry 4 the bad spelling.

Comment

possible but I doubt it....I am thinking stripped key way on the cam. JMO
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

ok so after removing the timing belt cover i found the timing belt was not just broken, not even shredded, but get this powdered. there was nothing left but a bunch of very fine powdered dust balls that when touched almost felt like those cotten balls on dandilions. it was as fine as powdered sugar. the tensioner is laying at the bottom of the lower timing belt cover. i think the bolt came loose then the tensioner wobbled powdering the belt until it was no more. WOW! I have seen broken, and even shredded belts before but never powdered belts! I want to be mad for the po's screwup but its just too damn funny seeing a powdered belt. Oh well, tomarrow i fix it right. thanx everyone for all your help. I'll let you all know my progress. but nite nite for now

Comment

^^ take some pics! And glad you found the problem and it wasn't too catastrophic. Sounds like they didn't tighten the tensioner hold-down at all when they did the belt last.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
              ^^ take some pics! And glad you found the problem and it wasn't too catastrophic. Sounds like they didn't tighten the tensioner hold-down at all when they did the belt last.
              yea, they remembered to loosen it to put the tension on the belt. But never re-tightened it after the spring set the tension. Luckily it's an easy enough fix and it should run again like nothing ever happened.
              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
              82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I will try to post pics but i not sure how

how do i post pics? is it go advanced then the paper clip at top? how many or how small in megabites must they be?

Comment

after seeing it in the light i see there is a tiny bit of the belt left on the cam. this must be why it tries to catch once in a while? i just hope i didnt damage the crackgear or anything else when the tensioner was bouncing around in there while it was off

Comment

I would guess the crank gear is a harder material than the tensioner and likely wouldn't have been damaged by it. But if you decide to take the advice given about replacing the crank seal then you will be removing the crank gear anyway to get at the seal and you can inspect it thoroughly while its out And for the pics when you "go advanced" there is a button down below to "manage attatchements" that is how you attach and upload pics. I think it has to be pretty small. I usually convert mine to a gif and that makes the file size go down a lot.
                    Last edited by htchbck; 04-29-2011, 06:28 AM.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

timing belt and cover

here is when i 1st looked in then after i looked at backside of cover

Comment

now this is what i found after removing cover and then what the powder was

wow fun

Comment

WOW! Can honestly say I've never seen one like that before! At least its not to bad to fix it... Not like a Honda where you could go ahead and kiss your valves goodbye lol
                          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by dwellfrosis View Post
                            wow fun
                            :shock:

...and I thought I'd seen it all.
                            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                            X