No announcement yet.

Is my alternator going out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looked a little closer now that I'm home, all the grounds seem fine, the belt has some minor cracks in it but doesnt really seem too shiny.

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
      Looked a little closer now that I'm home, all the grounds seem fine, the belt has some minor cracks in it but doesnt really seem too shiny.
      replace the belt....cracking means it is getting brittle and hardening which will make it slip.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

It has been makin noise on start up and while running for a little bit, genevadirt you might be on to something. Lol

Comment

Well my dad and I think the bearing is toast in the alternator, he went to go feel the tension on the new belt and burnt his hand on the alternator. there goes $110 that should go towards my streetbike...

Comment

Well my dad and I think the bearing is toast in the alternator, he went to go feel the tension on the new belt and burnt his hand on the alternator. there goes $110 that should go towards my streetbike...
            are there no junkyards near you?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
              are there no junkyards near you?!?!?!
              There are but I dont know if i trust those... lol

Comment

There are but I dont know if i trust those... lol
                could always get one and have it tested at autozone...if it does not work take it back and get another or get a due bill if there is no refund. Check ahead if they guarantee it working.
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                  could always get one and have it tested at autozone...if it does not work take it back and get another or get a due bill if there is no refund. Check ahead if they guarantee it working.
                  Thats a great idea, I think I might head to the junkyard right now, its 4 here and they close at 7 so I have time

Comment

Don't forget about alternator upgrades like those from the 323s and MPVs. Direct bolt in/plug in as found across the site.
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                      Don't forget about alternator upgrades like those from the 323s and MPVs. Direct bolt in/plug in as found across the site.
                      his plugs are different then the 90-93 Festy's...so they may not work
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                        his plugs are different then the 90-93 Festy's...so they may not work
                        Yes gonna have to do some rewiring on an early to use a late alternator like the 323. We had to do one for Batstiva to get him home from Madness4. You were there for that weren't you GenevaDirt?
                        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                        82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

A worldwide reman is about $140, and a Beck/Arnley will run about $160 for a carby and you may have to wait 2 or 3 days to get one. I keep a couple cores here, I can test one or two and see if I have a good one you may be able to use.
                          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                            Yes gonna have to do some rewiring on an early to use a late alternator like the 323. We had to do one for Batstiva to get him home from Madness4. You were there for that weren't you GenevaDirt?
                            well....I thought I was....lol. But I do not recall the rewiring thing....wait...what is the number of madness coming up...lol.
                            89L Silver EFI auto
                            91GL Green Auto DD
                            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Is it hard to wire a 91 alternator into my 88? I cut the wires pretty far back so I have all of the wires, just dont want to tear into it if its too hard

Comment

Is it hard to wire a 91 alternator into my 88? I cut the wires pretty far back so I have all of the wires, just dont want to tear into it if its too hard
                                Just need the two alternator wiring diagrams to match the wires, and the plug of a 90-93 Festiva alternator and your set.
                                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
                                X