1988 Festiva L rotor removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Festiva L rotor removal

I'm unable to remove my rotors does anyone know how to do this ?

You need a press.

And a manual!

Welcome to the site!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I need to know how to get them off the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        You need a press.

And a manual!

Welcome to the site!
        ^^ Like John said. You need the Haynes manual to walk you thru the process--or convince you that you can't do it alone and take it to a shop.

Don't be afraid to search. Here is a thread about front bearing removal, but it also describes rotor removal. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...=rotor+removal

But get the Haynes manual, you will need it.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Welcome, JIMITHING. I'll be the first to ask where you're from. Removing the rotors of course means pulling the whole hub assembly apart after you remove it from the car (so much for me lurking, eh Smedley?), so doing so would be the best time to have the knuckles cleaned, new bearings installed (DON'T LOSE THAT CENTER RING!), and checking your lower control arm bushings. I would recommend purchasing more pinch bolts, just in case yours strip out when you try to retorque them. You'll see what I mean in the Haynes manual.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

The rotors can be removed with a hammer if you don't intend to use them any more. That's how I removed the rotors from the wheels I'm rebuilding with new parts. The bearings came off with a 3-prong puller on loan from the auto parts store. The rotors can probably be removed with a soft hammer even if you do intend to reuse them.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys I just ordered a manual online. That's a bit of a project just to replace a couple rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by JIMITHING View Post
                Thanks for the info guys I just ordered a manual online. That's a bit of a project just to replace a couple rotors.
                That's why we doing the bearings at the same time.
                It's also one of the reasons the Aspire swap is so popular.
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

What does the Aspire swap consist of?

Comment

Originally posted by JIMITHING View Post
                    What does the Aspire swap consist of?
                    This is a great time to do a search on your own. This swap is well documented here. "aspire brake swap"
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      This is a great time to do a search on your own. This swap is well documented here. "aspire brake swap"
                      Excellent point, TominMO!
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You can do the rotors without removing the wheels from the car. There are old postings in this forum describing how to do it. Essentially you use a 3-prong puller to pull the hub off the axle leaving the steering knuckle on the axle.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The "aspire brake swap" seems like alot of work. I think I f I just replace the rotors this time they will probably last as long as the car does. Why can't I take a sledge hammer and hit rotor off since I'm going to replace it anyway? Will I be doing some other damage? I just don't see why I must take off the whole steering knuckle assembly.

Comment

the hub should be pressed off the inner bearing, hence the knuckle removal (plus it makes things SO much easier in the long run). if the bearings are in good shape and there's no play, press the hub off, unbolt the rotor, replace and then CAREFULY press back together with some fresh grease on the rollers.

DO NOT loose the spacer ring that sits between the inner and outer bearings.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                            X