weird noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird noise

I have a kind of growling noise going on. I can tell its definetely out of the passenger side of the motor. Maybe something in the timing belt area. It seems to be the worst when I am pulling from a stop in low gears and the gets quieter. It does still do it when idling but its not as loud as when its under a load. Anyone have any suggestions?
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

While your idling are you rolling or stopped.
    Because if rolling, the growling sound is likely a front bearing going.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'm stopped its not a wheel bearing because its just even when stopped. I can pop the hood and hear that its on that passenger side too. I am going to be putting on a head gasket before long just wanting to figure out what it is that way if its something I need to do while I am in there.

Comment

Maybe a pulley, or the timing belt adjuster, or the water pump bearings starting to go. Do you have coolant coming out of the little hole on top of the WP?

The fact that it gets louder when you apply load for acceleration makes me think it has to be related to something that is belt-driven.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

OK, possibly the timing belt tensioner.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'll check the water pump. Just the location its in makes me think its something to do with the timing belt too. I am going to replace the timing belt while I am in there doing that head gasket too.

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
              I'll check the water pump. Just the location its in makes me think its something to do with the timing belt too. I am going to replace the timing belt while I am in there doing that head gasket too.
              Don't replace the timing belt unless it needs it. If it doesn't need replacing, wait until the WP nees replacing to replace the belt. Less work.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

just for grins, also check for thrust play (in/out) at the crank pulley...
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So my growling noise is the water pump. So I guess I'll change the water pump and go ahead and do the timing belt. It also needs a head gasket so should I do it all in 1 shot? How bad is the water pump going to be?

Comment

If you do it all in one shot might as well do a valve cover gasket, cam seal, crank seal OR Just drop in b6 lol

Comment

I was thinking of doing those other seals it has a new valve cover gasket. I may do those other seals as well since I'll be in there so far. How big a job is it? Is it going to be a whole weekend deal?

Comment

if you're prepared to do a head gasket, everything else is a breeze.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                        X