No announcement yet.

I think my oil pump is going out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't happin to install rod and main bearings did you? Had this happin to me one time it turned out incorrect bearings ! Chances are rare that its the oil pump ,in my opinion! I've never seen one go bad !
    New build on the way .

Comment

Nope. Just installed new WP, redid oil pan and MBSP, new seals, a few things like that. I didn't touch the oil pump other than remove and reinstall the pickup tube.

I will probably try the "priming" method described as removing plugs and cranking engine to see if that works. If not, it's major operation time and I'll see what it's like to install an oil pump in the car.

Any other ideas, feel free! Thanks,

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't do anything except pull the engine and pull the oil pan & pump. You may be able to do this in the car as well. In any event, I wouldn't try to run it any more. You know from the sounds it's making that you don't have any oil pressure. When you went to the store, you had oil pressure. When you came out, you didn't....something broke or happened. The last thing you want is to damage the crank journals & camshaft journals in the head (if they're not already damaged). My guess is the pump went bad or a clogged or cracked pick-up tube. Doesn't really matter at this point, the main thing is to not damage it more! Sorry, I just don't want to see you ruin your engine for lack of oil pressure in an attempt to diagnose why you don't have oil pressure.
        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 05-10-2011, 11:17 AM.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          How common is it for an oil pump that has been working fine to need "priming?"

Karl
          Never....unless it has been starved for oil, sucking air or some other issue has created it.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

I think you need to drop the pan and see what the pick-up looks like!

I agree with blkfordsedan, do not run it any more!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yes what they said Karl ^^^ Dont waste anytime priming the motor. The only time you really need to do that if its a fresh rebuild. Replace the pump & move on. Right now everytime you run/crank that motor you could be doing more & more damage if you dont have oil psi.
              Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM.
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Sorry Karl, I wasn't trying to be negative or nasty, I'm just truely concerned for your circumstance. I just know how hard you have worked on your cars and I don't want to see you have any more problems than need be!
                Last edited by blkfordsedan; 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM.
                Brian

Comment

I didn't see any "negativity" Brian. I know ya'll are watching out for me!

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. I'm now prepping the car for an oil pump swap. I ordered the pump and seals and stuff this morning and should have everything by Friday morning. Aqua's up on the stands and I've removed about half of the timing stuff.

One good thing is I'll also swap crank pulleys. I think there'll be an update soon on my build thread (linking this as well, since it's part of the build, I suppose.

Anther GREAT thing is that I went on that Georgia trip last month--over 1400 miles--and didn't have a single problem, often as southern speeds of 70 mph. I didn't have any problems till I got back for a week or so and had my LF brake caliper begin acting up. I put on brand new front brakes last weekend, and now have SUPER AWESOME auto Aspire brakes with proper Kia Rio hoses to fit my Rio strut brackets.

Then this problem. It would have been much much worse on my trip!

Karl
                  Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-11-2011, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Just want to update this thread with the fact my oil pickup tube had come loose! I found that when I pulled the pan off.

I removed the part, shot some carb cleaner up into the bolt holes (probably should'a used brake cleaner instead), put on some thread locker and torqued them a bit over spec to keep it in place (I HOPE!!).

Oil pan was back on as of yesterday, then it began raining. Today it rained mostly, but then I got a chance and the timing area is mostly back together. I should finish tomorrow if the weather permits!

In hindsight, I only used one tube of the RTV in the B6 oil pan gasket kit. It seemed to cover enough properly, I also left the transaxle side rubber gasket "half-moon" in place since it was in a difficult area and had stayed in place pretty well when I removed the pan. I did use the other rubber piece on the timing side.

Hope it works!

I do have more confidence now that I've done a couple of major things to the engine while on the car. I fixed that huge oil leak by putting in the proper crank seal, and now this.

As always, thanks everyone for your help!

Karl

PS: I'm updating my build thread too.

PSS: Here's a link to this "problem thread":

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

My build thread:

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-15-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X