overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating

hi all i own a 1993 5 door 5 speed festiva and it constantly overheats ive taken out the thermostat replaced the waterpump radiator flushed it but then i took the top hose of the thermostat run the car but noticed there was no water flowing through the thermostat just steam and spits of water could there be a blockage in the head lost on what to do =/ any suggestions thanks.

clogged heater core maybe?
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

how's the oil? and did you check the heater core really good?
      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
      89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
      Projects in the works:
      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

My guess is fins rotted off the water pump. Had it happen once before with a motor that sat for a very long time.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
          clogged heater core maybe?
          Originally posted by DrMaxwellEdison View Post
          did you check the heater core really good?
          Please describe how a blocked heater core would cause an overheat condition in the engine?

htchbck, I think he replaced the water pump.
          It's hard to follow due to lack of any punctuation besides the single period at the end.
          Last edited by Pu241; 05-10-2011, 12:20 PM.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

First question I have is did you fill it completely up and bleed the air out? Then did you let it run long enough for it to warm up and see if the cooling fan is operational?
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              It's hard to follow due to lack of any punctuation besides the single period at the end.
              Oops... I guess I tend to just glaze over stuff I have trouble reading... I think you're right. Which means that Kartracer's question is a good one, did he get all the air out. With how small our systems are even a couple quarts worth of air means its already half empty of coolant !
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                Please describe how a blocked heater core would cause an overheat condition in the engine?

Never mind.
                Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Thank you ^^^^^^ I thought I'd be alone in thinking that....
                  Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                  89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                  Projects in the works:
                  84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

I had to edit my post because it would have started a argument with a MOD. atleast you understand.

Comment

hey guys thanks for the replies. i only bought the car a few weeks ago. knowing that it was overheating there is water in the oil so that indicates not a cracked head maybe head gasket. i still have all power untill the pressure builds up . i have replaced the waterpump. Taken the thermostat out due to winter weather here in adelaide . the heater does not work but the vents do. but as i had said in the previous message i took the top hose off of the thermostat housing then started the car and noticed there was no water flowing out just steam even without the thermostat in ?

Comment

hey thanks yea the oil is good heater does not work with it coming out of any direction.

Comment

hey kartracer46 yes i have filled the car completely and have bled the air i could out and yes i have let the car heat up and the cooling fan seems to be operational.

Comment

overheating

hey guys
                            i bought th car a few weeks ago for 180 there is only one problem it just over heated .
                            I have replaced the waterpump. Taken the thermostat out due to cold weather here in adelaide. i have replaced all hoses . checked the oil for water but theres no indication leading toward a cracked head maybe gasket? insured there is no air once radiator is filled. cooling fan does work . But still no water seems to be flowing through the thermostat housing. my heater for the car does not work but that shouldnt be a problem should it ? thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                              I had to edit my post because it would have started a argument with a MOD. atleast you understand.
                              That's sad!
                              Don't edit yourself on my behalf, Wont be the first time I've had an argument, guaranteed it will not be the last.
                              Bring the facts and lets see what the OP finds.
                              Just wanted to know how a clog heater core could cause and overheat in the engine. Neither of you have explained that. Many people have perfectly fine running cars with blocked heater cores, they just don't have any heat.
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X