Replacing water pump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing water pump...

How hard is it to do? My main concern is screwing up the timing while taking everything apart. to get the bottom half of the plastic cover off of my 88 motor I had to take the bottom pulley off. I really dont want to do that on my motor in the car, are there any easier ways to do it?

And are the water pumps the same from 88 to 91?

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

I know of no way to get the water pump off without removing the crank pulley.
    Best thing is to follow the service manual instruction exactly.
    A couple of hints. If you loosen the nuts on the top engine mounts and let the engine drop down a little, it will make it easier to get to the pulley for removal.
    Before your remove the belt and after you have the top timing cover off, turn the engine and get all the pulley arrows aligned. Mark the direction of the belt rotation and I also mark the belt at the pulley arrow points.
    Rockauto lists the same water pump for 1988 thru 1993.
    Be very careful not to over tighten any of the bolts (especially on the water pump pulley).

Comment

Ah not what I wanted to hear...

Comment

Unless the carb engine is totally dif up front I just did one last night and didn't remove the bottom pulley ! Can't understand why but mine was a 91 so maybe there really dif
        New build on the way .

Comment

the motor in mine is out ouf a 91 so thats good news! I'm about to do it right now

Comment

The bottom cover has a sneaky bolt hidden! But you can get to it ! The biggest problem I had was the front water neck gasket ! It wouldn't line up correctly !
            New build on the way .

Comment

i have a write-up on doing a water pump posted about 2 months ago, use the search feature, i list everything you need.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                i have a write-up on doing a water pump posted about 2 months ago, use the search feature, i list everything you need.
                My bad, I didn't have time to till just now. I was using my phone for internet and it was being a pain

Comment

Working...
                X