No announcement yet.

Won't start, I'm clueless....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is it's location. Two phillips screws hiding there under the piece of washer hose.

http://
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

okay, thanks I'll try replacing it tomorrow (thanks to my spare pile of parts...) also what does that connector go to that grounds to the plate under the coil on the side that faces the fusible links?
      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
      89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
      Projects in the works:
      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Originally posted by DrMaxwellEdison View Post
        okay, thanks I'll try replacing it tomorrow (thanks to my spare pile of parts...) also what does that connector go to that grounds to the plate under the coil on the side that faces the fusible links?
        Thats just a supressor, they never go bad.
        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
        82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Well did you get it to make blue spark yet?
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

been raining all day so I haven't gotten anything done... maybe tomorrow I'll be able to get SOMETHING done....
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            Projects in the works:
            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Usually, when getting a yellow spark from the coil, there's either a power issue, OR there's a field issue within the coil.

take the black wire on the coil and test it for battery voltage (key on engine off). if there's more than 0.4 volts differance between the actuall battery reading and the black wire, there's an excessive resistance in the wire that needs addressed. If the voltage reading is good, then suspect the coil itself and NOT the controler (if you have ANY spark, the controler is working properly as it's on the ground side of the coil).

most people don't realize how a coil works, so here it is: battery voltage is supplied to a PRIMARY winding within the coil. the winding presents a load to the circuit, so there's no dead short (like a lightbulb). this charged winding creates a magnetic field. the ignition modual controls the ground of that circuit, and when it disconnects the ground, the magnetic field colapses. that field's energy needs to go somewhere so it colapses onto the secondary winding in the center of the coil. this secondary winding has something like a 100:1 ratio to the primary winding. this acts like a step-up transformer and takes the battery voltage up to 30k+ volts via the colapsed magnetic field. now that the secondary winding is charged, it has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is out the coil pole and into the ignition wire, through the cap and rotor, back through the cap into the plug wires and finaly "shorting" at the plug.
              if the battery voltage is low, the magnetic field won't be as strong in the primary, and likewise, if the primary winding is damaged, the field will be weak as well and with a weak primary field comes a weak secondary field and thus weak spark.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^Not even copied and pasted lol
                91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                14 C7 Z51

Comment

nope, that's off the top of my head. sometimes i hate living and breathing automobiles.... lol
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    nope, that's off the top of my head. sometimes i hate living and breathing automobiles.... lol
                    Suuuuuuure!:laughing6:
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

clear skies today and the Gremlin is running like a champ... hopefully I'll get any other bugs worked out before this weekend....
                      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                      Projects in the works:

Comment

clear skies today and the Gremlin is running like a champ... hopefully I'll get any other bugs worked out before this weekend....

Well what was the fix?

Comment

the ignition module... just had to actually get out there to change it, personally don't like working in the rain, light rain I'm fine with, sheet rain I'm not... it all works
                          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                          Projects in the works:

Comment

the ignition module... just had to actually get out there to change it, personally don't like working in the rain, light rain I'm fine with, sheet rain I'm not... it all works
                            Kartracer46 for the diagnostic win!

Not to mention the photo documentation to back it up!
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                              Kartracer46 for the diagnostic win!

Not to mention the photo documentation to back it up!

And I thank him!
                              Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                              Projects in the works:

Comment

Add 1 rep!
                                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                                X