Play in steering, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play in steering, help!

I noticed some "play" in the steering, (88 festy btw). When I jack the car up, and move the tire from side to side, there is some play coming from the inner tie rods or inside the rack. This play is noticeable on both sides. Clues?

Sounds like you're already on the right track diagnosing it. It could also be from the outer tie rods as well.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Forgot to mention, popped the outers out and there is still play from inner/rack... I guess the next step is to pull the boots out and inspect?

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
        Sounds like you're already on the right track diagnosing it. It could also be from the outer tie rods as well.
        Yeah, take a good look at the tie rod ends. I'll bet the boots on one or both are shot. Replace 'em. Use Moog tie rod ends; they last longer. If, before you remove the old ones, you count the threads that are showing, you can put the new ones on to that same thread location, and not have to re-align the steering.

Also take a look at your lower control arms, under the knuckle where the ball joint is. Again look at the boot condition. Those can actually pop out from wear if the boots have been torn for a while, which is a very bad thing safety-wise. Moogs are best here too.
        Last edited by TominMO; 05-16-2011, 06:46 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by fstamand View Post
          Forgot to mention, popped the outers out and there is still play from inner/rack... I guess the next step is to pull the boots out and inspect?
          Sounds like the inner tie rods might need replacing too. And replace the boots if they are torn.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeah all the boots are cracked, time to make moog stocks go up

Comment

Yeah all the boots are cracked, time to make moog stocks go up
              So you'll be replacing everything I guess. The main reason to go with Moog is that the rubber on their boots seems to last longer. But you can go cheap if you have to; just keep an eye on the tie rod end boots (and lower control arm boots too). Evey six months or so, squirt 'em with Armor-All to lengthen their life.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Just changed my sway bar bushings and will be replacing the tie rod ends this week.
                Had not thought of putting Armor-All on the suspension rubber parts under the car.
                Great tip.

Comment

I'm new at festiva and amazed on how cheap parts are, and how easy they are to work on! I think I just jinxed myself

Comment

It'll quickly become your 30min-hour weekly project as you add driving lights, seat-steering wheel covers, DIY hatch cover, LED brake light, do your own oil-changes/tune-ups, etc.. Get used to the $25 weekly fill-up.

Comment

Originally posted by gotrootdude View Post
                      It'll quickly become your 30min-hour weekly project as you add driving lights, seat-steering wheel covers, DIY hatch cover, LED brake light, do your own oil-changes/tune-ups, etc.. Get used to the $25 weekly fill-up.
                      $25 weekly? Does he have a special 6-gallon gas tank?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I noticed some "play" in the steering, (88 festy btw). When I jack the car up, and move the tire from side to side, there is some play coming from the inner tie rods or inside the rack. This play is noticeable on both sides. Clues?
                        Did did you determine the complete problem.
                        Thought mine was the inner tie rod but turned out to be the rack bushing.
                        Had to get it rebuilt.

Comment

You guys can replace the rubber grease cups with urethane. Energy sells pieces for that. The inner boots, probably not. You might find silicon replacements if you search hard enough, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X