Check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check engine light

Check engine light came on. Steady. Then I slow down and it went off. What's the cars problem now?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Typically, the check engine light is related to the emissions of the car. You could have a bad converter, a bad O2 sensor, or a fuel mixture problem that causes the emissions to go out of range. I don't think these cars are OBD2 compatable (only been an owner a week and a half myself) so I don't know if you can go to AutoZone and get the codes read, but it sounds like it only does it under a load. Hopefully someone more versed will chime in.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

OBD2 started in 1996, halfway thru the Aspire generation.

If you get the O2 sensor, make sure it's the Denso unit. There are two, but they are identical except that one needs to be spliced in with the existing wiring; that one is much cheaper, about $20.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Car is OBD-I only, there is a thread on reading the check engine light codes, but the fact that it comes on then goes off on it's own is perplexing

Comment

I'd check what part of the car the code is referring to and start by looking for a loose or corroded connection.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Where is the O2 sensor located? Pics?

First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by kellcomnet View Post
              Car is OBD-I only, there is a thread on reading the check engine light codes, but the fact that it comes on then goes off on it's own is perplexing
              This happens all the time.
              Sometimes it takes specific conditions to trip the light, if the conditions are correct it will go out. Intermittent sensor failure, failure only when warm or cold etc...
              Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
              1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                Where is the O2 sensor located? Pics?

It's sticking out of the exhaust manifold. Looks vaguely like a spark plug with a wire on the end.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

In the front of motor facing front passager side ?

First time owner

Comment

You are correct.

Comment

Working...
                    X