Valve cover help needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover help needed!!

Started to pull the valve cover today, i'm stuck, do i have to pull the intake manifold of to remove it? Quick responses appreciated.
    :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Bump or manually rotate the crank.
    One or more of the rocker arms is in the wrong position.
    Or remove the throttle intake.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

What about removing the throttle body instead? If IIRC it uses some studs. So, you can use pliers or 2 nuts like #1 on this link:

1993 GL

Comment

Which way am I best off coming off sliding it to the side or tilting and coming up? Thank you.

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

Don't understand your question...

As mentioned, remove the throttle body and pull straight up.

Remember to get a new throttle body gasket and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE VC BOLTS. They need to be tightened down in INCH POUNDS. Just tighten them until the rubber bolt bushings are squeezed out of shape a bit.
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

There is a bolt that holds the valve cover that goes through the timing belt cover.

Comment

Valve cover was real easy to take off mine.

sent from my FESTIVA on me EVO phone
              First time owner
              89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
              Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                Valve cover was real easy to take off mine.

sent from my FESTIVA on me EVO phone
                It's harder on the EFI models because the throttle body extends over the valve cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  Bump or manually rotate the crank.
                  One or more of the rocker arms is in the wrong position.
                  +1. I've never had to remove the throttle body. It does take some wiggling, but it comes off.

Try putting the car in 5th gear, parking brake off, on a flat surface. Pull on the cover while pushing the car with your body. Whichever intake valve was too high will go down, and off it comes.

Edit: I changed my mind on my advice. Instead drop in a gen 2 (1990 -1993) B6; nothing obstructing the valve cover.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I got it off, any advice for cleaning it?

Comment

Originally posted by mckabe View Post
                      I got it off, any advice for cleaning it?
                      Brake cleaner (spray can).

When you install the new gasket, squirt it all over with Copper-Coat first.

Hurry; you only have about 70 minutes until the rapture....
                      Last edited by TominMO; 05-21-2011, 02:43 PM.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks for the laugh, and I'm talking about the top, visable surface

Comment

Originally posted by mckabe View Post
                          Thanks for the laugh, and I'm talking about the top, visable surface
                          Still with the brake cleaner, unless it's painted; then go with something that won't eat the paint, like Simple Green or maybe foamy Engine Brite.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I'm having no luck

Comment

Castrol Superclean and a stiff brush. You may have to go over it a couple of times but I haven't seen much this stuff won't clean
                              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X