Cleanaing and breaking in new brake rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanaing and breaking in new brake rotors

The guy at the parts store said to clean the gunk off the new rotors before use. Research on the Internet says hot soapy water is okay if you don't have brake cleaner. Anyone confirm this?

Research on the Internet also suggests breaking in (bedding) new rotors and tells how. Basically applying brakes in a controlled way to heat up the components and then cool them off. All done while car is in motion. Anyone do this? Components last longer or brakes work better? (Am putting on new rotors, calipers, pads.)

Thanks.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

I have never cleaned any rotors I put on any car. usually just change rotors and pads and do alittle light braking for the first 50 miles or so then after that its gravy.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I'd just use brake cleaner to clean the protective coating off.

For break-in, just drive conservatively in the city for a few miles, i.e. gentle braking.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have always been told to spray it with carb spray and then wipe it off. Works pretty good for me
        -Josh R

Comment

Okay, I have carb spray. Will use. Thanks.

Sorry for misspelling "cleaning". Not good for searches.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

yeah brake clean or carb spray will clean them off. as for "breaking them in" i usually do30 yard stops. (driving at 15 mph and stopping every 30 yards repeatedly)

Comment

I don't bed rotors or pads. I think alot of those "techniques" and common procedures need to be updated, because technology certainly has been.

The coating on the rotors is a type of packing oil, and will literally burn off on the first hard brake application. Bedding pads and rotors has more to do with lose mfg tolerances, that I know of. The idea was to make the pads the same shape as the rotors/drums, so maximum contact was achieved. Whens the last time you got a not smooth rotor or drum or shoe our pad out of the box?

Comment

^I disagree. I once bought a slotted rotor that wasn't smooth at all.
                1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Working...
                X