Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a MULTIMETER...
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
      Put a DP-ST >10A throw switch inside wired between the terminals and the fuses to disconnect the battery. Mount a mini 12v 2A float charger under the hood and plug it in nightly. To start, flip switch on, crank it, flip switch off. Simple and 100% effective.
      Effective at cranking but not starting right?
      Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-26-2011, 07:30 AM.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        Get a MULTIMETER...
        +1. A multi meter is your best friend in this situation!
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

wow, lol.

I have a multimeter. Battery is 12.35 key on engine off, and 13 something engine on and running. It is charging the battery. As soon as i get a second tonight ill put my other battery on and see if it helps.
          1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

12.35v means that your battery is in good shape. You don't have no huge stereo system or anything like that do ya? My brothers truckstiva had the same problem as you describe but it just randomly stopped killing main fuses. Are you putting in a fuse that is capable of holding the load? Id try butting in a bigger fuse and see if it kills that. If so there is a bad connection somewhere.

Comment

I would NOT install a larger fuse. the fuse is put inline to be the first thing that pops. If you take out the "weak" link then you will for sure have a harder time finding the next thing the electricity turns into your "weak" link.
              88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by shortystowing View Post
                I would NOT install a larger fuse. the fuse is put inline to be the first thing that pops. If you take out the "weak" link then you will for sure have a harder time finding the next thing the electricity turns into your "weak" link.
                Actually it will make it very easy to find the next weak link.......look for the smoke from meltdown.

I second not installing a bigger fuse.
                Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Well if he is replacing the fuse with something smaller then what is suppost to be there then the same thing is just gonna keep happening especailly if its trying to push more current then the fuse he is using can hold.

I would see what kinda of voltage is getting to the fuse to start with. If its the proper voltage then the bad connection is somewhere past that point or whatever is next in line causing a ground on the hot side.

Comment

I tried a 40a cartridge fuse, and it blew it right off the bat. The fusible link just heats up and smokes, but thats as far as i let it go. I tried a new confirmed good battery. Still no improvements. Every wire i checked in the charging system and below the fuseable link box was fine, with no evidence of melting or shorting out.

and to answer your question 91gl, no, it has a normal cd player, nothing big.

I have all weekend to figure this out thankfully. Ill post any updates, and thanks again for the help.
                    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Comment

Well I guess I'll throw my 2¢ in.

If you still have the Festy alternator just swap it onto the Aspire engine.

An impact wrench will make short work of swapping the pulley(s).

Hope this helps.

Comment

sadly my festy alternator was toast. We got some bad t-storms rolling through right now, ill try to unhook the charge cable on the alt and see if that helps. Could something be shorting out internally? Considering i cant find a single wire thats chaffed or anything of the sorts.

Comment

Did you have to mess with the alternator wiring when you put the engine in? You may have the wiring wrong. On my '89 I had the two smaller wires reversed when I first hooked it up and it didn't do right at all. Reversed 'em and it ran great. Later I found the bigger crank pulley and put the original alt. back in. Helped a lot because of the electric choke.

Comment

i did have to change out that plug. But it makes no difference with that plugged in or not. The wire colors matched up between the aspire and festiva.

Comment

What is with all this beating around the bush testing alternators? The link doesn't smoke, and it doesn't pop the fuse when the battery is out, right?

So, there is a short. Since the neg cable touching a ground isn't an issue(well, duh) then somewhere between the battery and the fusible link, the "hot" wire is touching a ground. I suppose it could be between the fusible link and the starter. Is that main "hot" wire connected to anything else? Without looking, I don't think it is....

A year or so ago, a friend of mine helped me put the trans in my car. He managed to route that wire into the cradle for the clutch cable, then put the clutch cable in. I didn't notice. A couple weeks later I fried part of my wiring harness. Mess with the clutch cable recently?

Some of that wiring is, if I am remembering right, inside of that protective plastic tubing. It might take some real finesse to find the short, but those are just about the only places I can think of where it would possibly cause your problem.

Then again, see my signature Hope that helps...and let us know what happens!
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

lol. yes actually, i did do a clutch cable. So today i'll check that area. I havce also done the starter recently, so that could be it. Its gotta be something so stupid. Thanks again for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X