No announcement yet.

Runs better with battery unhooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, well, i didnt really solve the problem, but i did. I ended up running a new cable from the post on the alt. to the positive post on the battery. Fuseable link doesn't get hot, and it charges the battery. That means there must be something wrong on that wire. I pulled most of the tape off, basically where the charge wire runs into the fuseable link box. No chaffing there at all. Could it be that the wire corroded that badly? And I don't see a problem having it hooked up the way i do. Everything still gets power correctly, and it is charging.

And, a bit of resistance figures. These are all with the charge wire unhooked from the alt. I had one test probe on the charge wire and one on the positive battery terminal. My meter was set to the 200 Ohm setting. The car was also not running.

Headlights off: 145.3

Headlights on: (just for giggles) 1.0

there shouldnt have been a difference, right? Its just like checking a ground. And every ground i checked was coming up with 0 resistance. We turned the headlights on, because when i first got the car, the PO told me the headlights needed to be on for the car to run. I thought he was b.s. ing me, but i guess not, lol.

sorry for the long post, but i think i did solve the problem. we'll see how it all works out.
    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Good show! Guess I was wrong, eh?(See my sig again) Still, makes sense, too much resistance to draw, pulls too many amps, fries link....

But it runs! Pip Pip...
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

that was my reasoning. I havent pulled the wire all the way out of the car yet, but next time i get to it i will and get back to you guys
        1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Working...
        X