Beat it til it mushroomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beat it til it mushroomed

P5. Axle will not come out of the hub. I have beat it with a sledge hammer until the axle end has mushroomed. Not trying to save the axle. Need the hub assy. Trying a torch on Monday. Any other ideas?

youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Get the smoke wrench

Comment

Also, try an air hammer right in the center of the axle. Sometimes a quick blast will unseize stuck splines

Comment

Soak it with copious amounts of PB and let it sit overnight. Sometimes that helps to free stuff up. Careful using the gas ax on anything that's cast, if you get it too hot it will crack.
        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Three jaw puller?
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Heat the hub and the axle till they are smoking hot. Then let cool completely without using any oil. Then walk away and get a beer. Wait till its completely cool @ 30 min. Then hit it with pb blaster,LARGE 3 jaw puller & hammer on the bolt of the 3 jaw puller. It helps if you have a friend hold a large sledge hammer on the back side of the hub also. If this doesnt work,you gotta pull the whole assembly out & take it to a machine shop and press it out. Had a Subaru kick my butt,so dont feel bad if you gotta take it to a press. Pretty much ruined my 3 jaw puller in the process
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

This may be a stupid question (it doesn't look like the hub on my Festiva), but how is the axle going to come out of the hub with the end flared out like that? Wouldn't the flare have to be filed or cut off?
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                This may be a stupid question (it doesn't look like the hub on my Festiva), but how is the axle going to come out of the hub with the end flared out like that? Wouldn't the flare have to be filed or cut off?
                It flared because he was hitting it with a hammer. I cant say ive ever seen an axle do that paul.

X2 on the PB Blaster
                1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                  It is from hitting it so many times with a sledge. When it breaks loose I will just cut the end off.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Hit it harder....
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Thanks. Duh, I realized it was flared because it was hit with a hammer. That wasn't my question. With the end flared it won't pull back through the hub. My question was how's he going to get it though the hub? Answer: he plans to cut off the flared end. There might be room to get an angle grinder in there. If not I'd suggest a grinding stone on an electric drill to grind off the flare. I've used one a few times to grind metal and it's pretty efficient.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Cut the hub parallel to the axle twice about 130* from eachother. The axle should then come out. You will now be able to get the hub out for your using pleasure.

Like Nate said I like "The Claw" in that type of situation. Though with the amount of pressure being applied with the sledge I'm not sure a claw would be big enough to get it either. IDK
                        -Bryant

Comment

LOL I just did that on my car. I grinded the mushroom down until the nut could go back on and pulled it apart out of the tranny that way. It's going back in as one piece for now.

p.s. in the future put the axle nut on backwards and you have more area to strike.
                          Last edited by getnpsi; 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Yeah tell that to the 3 pound sledge that I've used 100 times.

Comment

I saw you picking up a Festiva on youtube. It probably took you half as many hits as it took me to ruin half an afternoon.
                              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X