Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I believe my throw-out bearing is toast. (did search)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's out, but it wasn't easy. I had to take the front crossmember bolts out and one of the rear ones in order to get it out, I also removed the alternator and water pump pulley.

I was trying to get it stabbed back in in order to remove the front dress. I have no idea how I'll get it back in. So far I'm not a big fan of removing the engine to replace the.clutch....

Which turns out, may have been recently replaced. It and the pressure plate look pretty new. There is grease (presumably) coming from the pilot bearing, dunno if they greased it up a.bit to put it in? The inside if the bellhousing was wet and covered in clutch dust as well. I'm of a mind to return the clutch kit and get a new pilot bearing and throwout bearing and see if that solves it.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
      It's out, but it wasn't easy. I had to take the front crossmember bolts out and one of the rear ones in order to get it out, I also removed the alternator and water pump pulley.

I was trying to get it stabbed back in in order to remove the front dress. I have no idea how I'll get it back in. So far I'm not a big fan of removing the engine to replace the.clutch....

Which turns out, may have been recently replaced. It and the pressure plate look pretty new. There is grease (presumably) coming from the pilot bearing, dunno if they greased it up a.bit to put it in? The inside if the bellhousing was wet and covered in clutch dust as well. I'm of a mind to return the clutch kit and get a new pilot bearing and throwout bearing and see if that solves it.
      The inside of the bell housing is wet? With motor oil? As in rear main leak?
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Couldn't tell, it seemed just wet enough to collect clutch dust. I'm more apt to think its the front tranny seal as the back of the block didn't seem wet.
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

not sure what you had going on but I have never had to remove anything other then the radiator to pull the engine. Oh and on one of my cars the compressor for the air conditioning. Other then that was always pretty simple.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Well, the water pump was hitting the frame and the input shaft was hanging on the pressure plate.

I'll post some pics of the pieces after lunch. I think the clutch and pressure plate are fine.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

The pressure plate has witness marks on it, I've never dealt with a diaphragm style pressure plate before, only the long style.

Again the clutch and pressure plate look new, so I'm not sure how much witness it should have. There doesn't appear to be a groove.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

This would be a really good time to replace the rear main seal if it wasn't done when the new clutch was installed. I replace them any time I have the engine and transmission separated. It's good insurance and keeps you from wanting to kick yourself if you put it back together and the seal starts leaking in the near future

Based on your description of the oil in the bellhousing it sounds like it could maybe use one anyway.
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                  Couldn't tell, it seemed just wet enough to collect clutch dust. I'm more apt to think its the front tranny seal as the back of the block didn't seem wet.
                  Oh that doesnt sound that bad,sounded like it was dripping wet. But what condition is the throw out bearing? Check the runout on the OUTPUT shaft though.

Comment

I think the engine has been rebuilt, the rear freeze plug looks new.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Larry I meant input shaft. Grab it and see if there is a lot of play-

Comment

Will do.
                        2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                        X