Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose radiator

Hello!
    New member - proud owner of an 89 LX, automatic with AC (thanks to my friend Nearderpaul!) It came with a crack in the plastic part of the radiator, just below the cap (pictures below if you're interested). As I was taking off the top brackets, I notice the rubber gaskets that hold the vertical posts on top of the radiator were worn and dry - I can move the radiator back and forth by hand, there's about a half inch of play. I wondered if the radiator vibrating back and forth might have caused the crack? When I replaced the brackets, I slid a rubber washer into each gasket to firm things up - then I started to second guess myself - is the radiator supposed to be loose to reduce vibration? Should I keep the washers in or take them out? I haven't started the car yet, waiting for the JB Weld to cure.

For anyone interested here is the crack - you can see the moisture line in the sanded area.

Here's my first radiator patch job - its not pretty - the JB Weld was hard to use on a near-vertical space with little clearance to work with.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow if its going to hold or I need to order a new radiator.

id say order a new one or make it a perfect reason by stretching the entire truth to the mrs. to do a motor swap

Comment

first photo shows battery post needs cleaning.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

oops, meant to crop that out...
        It's on the list, along with new wheels, tires, spare, tail-light gaskets, a tuneup (and probably a new radiator).

Comment

You'll be surprised, it's a 13lb system. I have repaired several and had success. But I would go ahead and find another replacement if you plan to distance drive with it. Around town and short trips it will do nicely.

Congrats on the car!
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

2x Kartracer on the finding a replacement (new or used).
            That crack is likely to propagate left and right of it current position.
            Ultimately moving out side your repair area.
            Could be quit a while or a few days.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I live according to the tenets of The Floydian Complex - never replace a part when an upgrade is readily available. On Ebay, Amazon, and Honda-Tech, you'll find thick, beefy, and aluminum Civic radiator packages with big fans for $80 shipped or less. That would be my recommendation if you decide to replace it in the immediate future.
              1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

File down the jb, drill holes at the ends of the crack, then coat it again. The holes terminate the crack.

Plastic welding is also an option. When new, the radiator didn't move around, and new rubber mounts wouldn't allow liberal movement.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! It's just going to be an "around town" ride, so I'm hoping the patch will hold while I invest in some new tires, etc. I'll replace it eventually - will definitely check out the civic radiators.

Comment

I read that the plastic used on radiators is also the same plastic as zip ties. I was able to "stick weld" the radiator on my camry with a soldering iron with a fat tip like that. It was actually kinda fun to do and it held until i sold it.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

There is a lot of space up front on festivas. You can implement any number of wrong make and models and make them fit pretty easily once you do decide to replace your rad.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Make Tanja an offer.

Here's another one for one Euro.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 07-17-2011, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I'll definitely tuck that idea away for later. I topped off the radiator and ran it around the block a few times - no leak so far.
                          Unfortunately while cleaning up I picked up a wire coming from the distributor area and it broke off in my hand - insulation was brittle and cracked. Temporary fix with electrical tape but I need to figure out what it is and replace it before it breaks again - If I had a dollar for every time I broke something while trying to fix something else - I could probably afford that new radiator...

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                            File down the jb, drill holes at the ends of the crack, then coat it again. The holes terminate the crack.

Plastic welding is also an option. When new, the radiator didn't move around, and new rubber mounts wouldn't allow liberal movement.
                            Christ is correct, I should have mentioned that as well.
                            Holes do not have to be large, just larger than the propogating crack.
                            You can even drill them ever so slightly ahead of the crack.
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                              I read that the plastic used on radiators is also the same plastic as zip ties. I was able to "stick weld" the radiator on my camry with a soldering iron with a fat tip like that. It was actually kinda fun to do and it held until i sold it.
                              The radiator is a glass filled/reinforced nylon and the base resin is likely a different chemical structure from that of zip ties. But that said, the nylons (there are a number of different nylons) should be interchangeable with regards to compatibility. Meaning even though a zip tie might be nylon 12,12 (I don't know this for a fact) and the radiator might be nylon 6,6 (again, I do not know this to be true) they should be able to "stick" and melt into each other without issue. Making plastic welding a reliable option should the JB weld fail.
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X