No announcement yet.

B6T boo boo!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how/why are you running a rx7 vaf on a b6t ecu?
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
      how/why are you running a rx7 vaf on a b6t ecu?
      how-it bolts right up and plugs in, other people have run them before my buddy had one laying around so i fugured why not give it a shot.

why-because i thought my vaf might be bad on my car because it started running like poo all of a sudden

Comment

cant find my boost leak tester, gonna go get the stuff to make one tonight,

did a compression test last night 150psi across all the cylinders.

hopefully i will get it figured out this weekend, i get paid tomorrow so i might go buy an xr2 for parts

Comment

but the capri B6t vaf and the rx7 VAF run at completely different voltages. capri is 2.5-7.8volts and the RX7 is 0-5volts...both are 3" though. thats why no one can run an APEXi VAFC on a B6T

people run RX7 VAF's on BP's and B6's cause they are bigger than the OE VAF's and run the same voltages.
          Last edited by fastivaB6TG25MR; 08-18-2011, 11:40 PM.
          I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

We might have a Winner Winner Chicken Dinner here ^
            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
              We might have a Winner Winner Chicken Dinner here ^
              i am not running an rx7 vaf on my car, the stock b6t one is on the car, i simply plugged in the rx7 vaf to see if the car would run any different and test to see if i possibly have something wrong with my vaf

Comment

i been kinda slow to getting around to it,BUT i finally built my boost leak tester and used it on my car, found 3 leaks 2 going into my intercooler, just needed to adjust the t bolt clamps a bit and the 3rd was a very small hole around one of the bungs welded on, i fixed that at work today

i also bought a oem, cap and rotor and oem spark plugs, i put those on and checked my timing its sitting right where it needs to be. and my car still runs like a turd!!!!

im still thinking i have a bad ecu, i talked to a local gtx fan and he has a spare ecu and dist. that he is gonna loan me hopefully this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                  but the capri B6t vaf and the rx7 VAF run at completely different voltages. capri is 2.5-7.8volts and the RX7 is 0-5volts...both are 3" though. thats why no one can run an APEXi VAFC on a B6T

people run RX7 VAF's on BP's and B6's cause they are bigger than the OE VAF's and run the same voltages.
                  Thank you! This is very important info that somehow keeps getting clogged up in the internet pipes somewhere. Came in here to say this. The RX7 and XR2 VAF's are the same size internally IIRC, so there's no point in swapping them anyway.

Also, boost & vacuum leaks are very suspect, the B6T management is super finicky about it. Your symptoms point to a boost/vac leak somewhere. If you are running a BOV make sure it is closing properly. I've also seen some people with bad/reused intake & throttlebody gaskets that have caused problems, same with fuel injector seals. Check those, a propane or other fluid test might help.

Also, try unplugging the TPS and see how it acts. This will throw it into a safe-mode, but is not an indicator of a failed TPS if it runs good with it unplugged.

Trying a spare ECU would not hurt either, but they generally don't fail in the manner your car is acting

Hope you get it figured out.
                  -Rocket
                  1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                  High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                  Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

What year RX-7 would be a good donor for the VAF?
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                      Thank you! This is very important info that somehow keeps getting clogged up in the internet pipes somewhere. Came in here to say this. The RX7 and XR2 VAF's are the same size internally IIRC, so there's no point in swapping them anyway.

Also, boost & vacuum leaks are very suspect, the B6T management is super finicky about it. Your symptoms point to a boost/vac leak somewhere. If you are running a BOV make sure it is closing properly. I've also seen some people with bad/reused intake & throttlebody gaskets that have caused problems, same with fuel injector seals. Check those, a propane or other fluid test might help.

Also, try unplugging the TPS and see how it acts. This will throw it into a safe-mode, but is not an indicator of a failed TPS if it runs good with it unplugged.

Trying a spare ECU would not hurt either, but they generally don't fail in the manner your car is acting

Hope you get it figured out.
                      -Rocket
                      Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                      What year RX-7 would be a good donor for the VAF?
                      Thanks for the info rocket, i have unplugged the tps and it changes nothing, ill keep checking for boost leaks. i hope i figure this out too

and fastivaca, 2nd gen rx7 is what your looking for if you wanna put on on your bp car

Comment

Working...
                      X