Blown 2 Carby Fuel Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown 2 Carby Fuel Pumps

...In the last two months. I don't know what's wrong. The diaphragm isn't holding up at all. The car doesn't want to idle at first, and after a few revs, will run. You have to DROP the pedal to accelerate beyond 2K, and then after that the car takes off like a rocket. Well, a 50HP rocket. I hope it's not just that the AutoZone fuel pumps I'm getting are crap.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Have you checked fuel pressure and output volume??
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

No, I haven't. I didn't have the means. I've been informed that the fuel pumps I was using were a bad brand and were prone to failure. I'll be receiving an OEM pump in the mail shortly.
      Last edited by DriverOne; 07-20-2011, 09:40 PM.
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

There is a (approximately 3/16") plastic spacer plate that goes between the head and the fuel pump. Do you have that installed? If that is missing, it's possible that the cam lobe is pushing the fuel pump lever too far because the pump is too "deep" into the head.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

another thing, check that the return line isnt blocked!!

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
            There is a (approximately 3/16") plastic spacer plate that goes between the head and the fuel pump. Do you have that installed?
            Yeah, the spacer is there, and both of the gaskets as well.

Originally posted by Fordverde View Post
            another thing, check that the return line isnt blocked!!
            I thought the carby models didn't have a return line.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
              I thought the carby models didn't have a return line.
              If you have the correct Festiva fuel pump there should be 3 metal lines connected to it. Inlet, outlet, and return.
              You gonna race that thing?
              http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Working...
              X