No announcement yet.

Festiva cranks but not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your injectors are frozen open causing a rich miss. you state that the car ran with the injectors unpluged for a short while, and before that, the plugs were getting wet.

you're fuel fowled.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      your injectors are frozen open causing a rich miss. you state that the car ran with the injectors unpluged for a short while, and before that, the plugs were getting wet.

you're fuel fowled.
      are you calling him chicken.....man....thats low. Kick a guy when he's down.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

ha ha! I rotated the distributor rotor and heard all of the injectors click. The car has not started yet as I'm still diagnosing it. The car turned over and almost started as it leaned out with the fuel line unplugged.
        Chad
        1990 Tiva L - Yellow
        1995 Metro - SOLD...
        2002 F150 FX4 - Black
        1966 Galaxie 500XL - Black

Comment

^ just because they click doesn't mean they're actually operating. the solenoids in them can make noise and they can still be stuck in an open position.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

How do I fix the injectors? The car ran before I took the motor out and rebuilt due to a bad head gasket. Is there a way to test them?
            Chad
            1990 Tiva L - Yellow
            1995 Metro - SOLD...
            2002 F150 FX4 - Black
            1966 Galaxie 500XL - Black

Comment

I hate to bring this up again:
              But I just had to change a water pump. I've done it many times. For some reason this one gave me some timing issues. I checked and checked and checked again. This motors timing marks don't line up with TDC. So I used the crank key instead of the #1 piston trick and it's fixed
              When you set your timing did you use the crank keyway?
              Or did you use the pistons at the top of the cylinder method?
              (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by chadzeilenga View Post
                Quick update
                I double checked for fuel by unplugging the line to fuel rail while the engine was being cranked. Surprisingly the engine started to fire up until the fuel ran out in the rail. I hooked the fuel line back to the rail and the engine was back to not starting.
                This makes me wonder if maybe the fuel inlet and return lines got switched when reinstalling the engine. I'm not 100% sure how the fuel pressure regulator operates internally on a Festiva (never had trouble with one) but if its trying to send fuel through the rail the wrong way, I doubt the regulator would function properly. Which would mean either too much fuel or too little fuel, depending on what the regulator was doing wrong, even if the injectors are working properly.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                  This makes me wonder if maybe the fuel inlet and return lines got switched when reinstalling the engine. I'm not 100% sure how the fuel pressure regulator operates internally on a Festiva (never had trouble with one) but if its trying to send fuel through the rail the wrong way, I doubt the regulator would function properly. Which would mean either too much fuel or too little fuel, depending on what the regulator was doing wrong, even if the injectors are working properly.
                  Good call ! If thats the case he's got full pressure all the time. Cuz the fuel is going directly to the injectors. Right?
                  Last edited by nitrofarm; 08-08-2011, 10:01 AM.
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

nope, the regulator is on the back side of the rail (as the fuel flows). if the hoses were backward, the fuel pressure should force the regulator shut causing no fuel flow. And 32 psi is not full pressure, if he was deadheading the pump, he should see upwards of 45psi. Also, if he doesn't have the vac hose attached to the regulator, that will also cause the pump to deadhead because the regulator will be fully closed, but since he's seeing 32psi, i doubt this is the case.

Comment

Working...
                    X