X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having starting trouble

Hey everyone!!
    1988 L+, 4-speed manual, 1.3l, carb, 171,000 miles

Having trouble starting it these days. Takes about 4 times, cranking the starter about 4-5 seconds each time, to start it. It should start on the first try, maybe the 2nd try if it's cold. Once started, runs great.

My alternator belt is slipping (I'm replacing it on Saturday), could it be that the battery is not being fully charged, therefore causing my problem?
    would like to take care of this B4 I drive across country!!

Also, how hard is it to change: oil pan and valve cover gaskets, and the fuel pump? Any secrets I should know before I tear everything apart?

Thanks!!
    mark
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Is it cranking slow or fast?

If it is cranking fast enough it could be as simple as a tune up. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

If it is cranking slow then check your charging system. Check the alternator and battery.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

The best advice anyone could give you right now is to spend a few bucks on a Haynes Manual.. It's not a huge technical reference, but it does cover general maintenance and repair. The gaskets are not that hard to do, but like anything there is a right way and a wrong way.. The manual will help allot.
      Most Autozone or McParts store will have them..

Comment

Is it just a cold starting problem, or does it also have a problem starting once warmed up?
        Kevin
        '93 L (BP{T} Sold
        '90 L Plus Sold
        '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Nope, just does it when it's cold. When warmed up starts right up! I did seem to notice one thing more recently though: when I try to start it, it will start more easily if I release the key sooner... that is, not crank it as much. again, never used to do that. I have a feeling the battery isn't getting as charged as it should, and I should replace the fuel filter too.

Also, like I said, once started and warmed up, runs great!!

Thanks to all who help!
          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
          Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by newbug
            Nope, just does it when it's cold. When warmed up starts right up! I did seem to notice one thing more recently though: when I try to start it, it will start more easily if I release the key sooner... that is, not crank it as much. again, never used to do that. I have a feeling the battery isn't getting as charged as it should, and I should replace the fuel filter too.

Also, like I said, once started and warmed up, runs great!!

Thanks to all who help!
            The engine isn't getting the extra fuel it needs cold, the accelerator pump or the choke is not working maybe, rebuild the carb.

Man I thought I would never be talking about a carb again.
            97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
            92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
            95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

Well, I think I figured it out. I have a kill switch for the ignition ( a simple one hooked to the coil), I turn the switch off at night and on in the AM when I go to leave... the
              switch must be going bad. Last night I didn't turn the switch off, and it started right up! all day yesterday in my travels I didn't touch the switch all day, and it started up each time.

I'll replace it and let you know.
              just.... D'oh!
              Mark S.

Comment

Working...
              X