Idle issue with wierd fix. >HELP<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandm849 View Post
    Liking the thread so far. Did you find the fix other than the bottle. Uncle fester is having a very similar problem with idling like crap (idle coming down very low and rough, hasn't stalled yet but haven't given it the opportunity yet by keeping foot in the gas), until it gets warm. Then for the most part it's good. I also have a slight hesitation at wot though which you don't seem to have. I'm probably going to start looking into my issue tonight but keep me posted on how you make out!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 89newb
    mines not carbed and i have this problem. found that the factory sealed baffle inside the valve cover is no longer sealed. sealed it back up and no more problem

Apparently the OP didnt feel it was important to let us know that the sealant fixed the blow by
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Well I guess the valve cover is coming off tonight. Hopefully it's that simple!
      The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
      1988 LX ~sold~
      1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
      2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
      1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
      2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

Well resealed the valve cover. No gunk in there. Replaced plugs and fuel filter. Seems to only idle crappy when I put it in gear...I have a 5 speed. Suggestions?? And btw sorry for hijacking the thread. Will start a new one if necessary.
        1988 LX ~sold~

Comment

I had one from Qaking like that, TPS wasn't registering idle position.

Oh, and I still haven't pulled out that trans, Mark. It will be out soon, though.
          Last edited by FB71; 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by 89newb
            mines not carbed and i have this problem. found that the factory sealed baffle inside the valve cover is no longer sealed. sealed it back up and no more problem

Apparently the OP didnt feel it was important to let us know that the sealant fixed the blow by
            sorry guys. been busy trying to fix my suspension and tire issues to get monstiva inspected. Yes resealing the baffle to the valve cover did solve the blow by issue. Havent been able to drive it to determine if this fixed the stalling issue though. inspection ran out and a tire blew a massive hole. lol. Sorry guys.

Comment

Thanks Jim. Let me know.
              1988 LX ~sold~

Comment

Btw Jim. How did you verify the tps bad? What readings should I expect?
                1988 LX ~sold~

Comment

Well resealed the valve cover. No gunk in there. Replaced plugs and fuel filter. Seems to only idle crappy when I put it in gear...I have a 5 speed. Suggestions?? And btw sorry for hijacking the thread. Will start a new one if necessary.
                  If its a manual. And it only idles rough when you put it in gear. That would lead me to believe the clutch is staying partially engaged. Have you recently adjusted the clutch cable? Cuz really how does the the computer know if its in gear? You see what I'm getting at?

Comment

I see exactly what you are saying. I have never touched the clutch cable since I have bought the car. So I don't see how it would get tighter by itself.
                    1988 LX ~sold~

Comment

I see exactly what you are saying. I have never touched the clutch cable since I have bought the car. So I don't see how it would get tighter by itself.
                      Then I'm guessing you have a issue inside the tranny. I have the exact same problem.

Comment

Is yours only when cold and when in gear?
                        1988 LX ~sold~

Comment

Is yours only when cold and when in gear?
                          Mine doesnt really amtter with temp. Its just when you put it in any gear,with clutch depressed at a stop. So I'm guessing its a bearing thats junk inside the tranny.

Comment

The other weird thing I noticed is that once the car is warm and I put it in gear the rpms actually rise slightly. I just don't see how the car could possibly know if it's in gear or not.
                            1988 LX ~sold~

Comment

Working...
                            X