Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace the headlight assembly

Hi Everyone,

I've an Australian 1996 Festiva (I think you guys call it Aspire)
    The lenses are foggy and I thought it might be easier to replace the whole assembly.

But I can't figure out how to take the old ones out .. I can't see any screws/bolts apart from the adjustment screw (the one that titls the light up/down).

Any help is appreciated ... if anyone has an illustration from a workship manual or whatever this will be even more great.

Roky
    Last edited by Roky; 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM.

Uploading now
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

If it's anything like the old festivas, there won't be screws, but bolts you need to get to. On mine I had to remove the side marker to get to one or two of them.

Good luck, im sure one of the guys here will have the answer for you in no time
      1979 Civic - Work in Progress http://myhondafestish.tumblr.com/

Comment

Comment

have you tried polishing the old lenses?
          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Roky, here's another vote to encourage you to buy a polishing kit and have at it. That way the lights stay in place, they stay aimed, and you will probably save some money. I understand the the kits work well enough, though you'll need to use some effort or perhaps a power tool.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^^ X3 on the polishing. If you have a drill you can get one of the ones with the spongy pad that goes in the drill and the polishing paste that goes on the light. I've heard of people using toothpaste and a washcloth on them too, but never tried it myself. That would probably be the cheapest route though, if it does actually work.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I've used the 3M kit before, worked great, lasted for about 3-4 years before needing done again.
                1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                  ^^ X3 on the polishing. If you have a drill you can get one of the ones with the spongy pad that goes in the drill and the polishing paste that goes on the light. I've heard of people using toothpaste and a washcloth on them too, but never tried it myself. That would probably be the cheapest route though, if it does actually work.
                  I tried the toothpaste trick, and it would have taken forever to get them looking new, if they would at all. The 3M kit is way better.
                  BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

^^ Good to know. Thanks for the feedback
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Nick,
                      Thanks heaps for uploading the page for me ...
                      As you are in Australia, do you know of any of those polishing kits ? what brand, where to get them or how much they cost? taking into consideratoin that I don't have a drill and will be doing it manually

I actually had in mind to get those assemblies from a wrecker, they would have been much cheaper than the new ones, but not sure whether I will find good qulity ones or not.

Cheers

Roky

Comment

As for the kits, ive personally never used a polishing kit. What model head lights do you have and are they plastic or glass? I would probably go to supercheap auto or autobarn. Depending on which one you get it's about 10 - 30 dollars.

As for the wreckers i got a WA festiva headlight and was really good condition, the metal was a bit faded, but i just painted it. They're going to be about 50 each depending on where you go.

If alll else fails you can go to burson auto parts and order brand new headlights, not sure how much they'll be.

FFB-21030LH HEAD LAMP LEFT WB-4/94-12/96
                        FFB-21030LHG HEAD LAMP LEFT WB-4/94-12/96
                        FFB-21030RH HEAD LAMP RIGHT WB-4/94-12/96
                        FFB-21030RHG HEAD LAMP RIGHT WB-4/94-12/96
                        FFB-21031LH HEAD LAMP LEFT WD WF-1/97-9/01
                        FFB-21031LHG HEAD LAMP LEFT WD WF-1/97-9/01
                        FFB-21031RH HEAD LAMP RIGHT WD WF-1/97-9/01
                        FFB-21031RHG HEAD LAMP RIGHT

- Nick

Comment

Source Ebay ( *cringe* ) and wreckers.. Sydney should have plenty of those.

Comment

Nick shouldn't you have a set of headlights from your donor ? or is that going back on the road ?

Comment

I just drove into Big Pete's auto detailing shop. They polished my headlight lenses for $20 cash while I waited about 15 minutes. They have the proper polishing compound and the proper power buffing equipment.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 08-11-2011, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X