No announcement yet.

Belt SCREAMING at me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been having a very similar issue. It will squeel like a pig when I start it and after a few seconds it'll stop but if I push the pedal too fast it'll scream again until I let up some. I also have a/c but have that belt off.
    Someone had mentioned a crappy battery issue possibly being the culprit. Is that really a possible reason? My battery works but REALLY needs to be replaced. It's starting to buldge on one side.
    I'm closely following this thread. I appreciate everyones help on here. You guys are often so knowledgable.

Chris F
    San Francisco
    1988 white Festiva
    Go ghostiva, go!

'88 LX "tiny little ghost" White - 5 speed

Comment

The belt may be slipping. Grab it and give a pull. Also compare it to the original to see if it is the correct cross section. The oterh thing is tension. If you lay a ruler or other staight edge across the pulleys and push down on the midpoint of the belt with another ruler there should be a about a 1/2" deflection (5/8").
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Have you had the pulleys off recently? I know I almost put them back on backwards once and it would have had the pulleys out of alignment.

The easiest way to tension the belt is to get a long pry bar or wrench and lever the alternator towards the firewall. The belt has to be pretty tight to only have 1/2" of deflection at the widest span.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

My alternator bolt is stripped and only holds tension for a day so I put a longer bolt and nut in it all problems solved maybe someone stripped it. I know this was my belt squeal issue.

Comment

I'd say a 1/2" deflection one way [1" total] is too much. I like a 1/4" one way, 1/2" total. Also the proper v belt will not touch the bottom of the pulley groove, just the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse002100 View Post
              My alternator bolt is stripped and only holds tension for a day so I put a longer bolt and nut in it all problems solved maybe someone stripped it. I know this was my belt squeal issue.
              I had a similar issue with my BP. The lower alternator bolt fell out, and was my cause of belt squeal / burning. Went through a few belts before I figured that one out. Also, make sure the belt you bought has a warranty so you don't keep buying new belts while you figure it out. :p
              BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

Above I wrote the belt deflection should be 1/2" to 5/8" but it should be 3/8" according to the Haynes manual.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X