Aspire CV axle removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire CV axle removal

Been trying for two days to get my Aspire driver side CV axle out of the manual tranny. Things I have tried:

1. pulling
    2. inserting large flat screwdriver, and pulling
    3. inserting prybar, and pulling
    4. hitting prybar with mini-sledge
    5. repeatedly rotating slightly, then #4, trying to find where the clip is open
    6. bargaining with God
    7. Buddhist chanting
    8. becoming one with the axle

I have the Haynes manual and Festiva manual. No help. I also did a search and read what other people have done.

Any thoughts?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

This takes two people , stick your prybar in behind the axle cup and the trans and pry out on the axle . Then the other person holds the axle up streight and compressed , then knock it on the end with a hammer .like your driving it back in the trans . This will shock the c clip and it should pop out . If not , pull the other side and run a very thin bar through the trans and drive it out . good luck
    New build on the way .

Comment

diff pin will keep you from reaching the other axle. we have a protege DX (B8) and the same thing is the issue. apparently there was at one point a rash of circlips that were not shaped properly and they were causing the same issue. had to remove the circlip from inside the trans with a dentist pick and thin punch... not fun.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
        1. This takes two people, stick your prybar in behind the axle cup and the trans and pry out on the axle. Then the other person holds the axle up streight and compressed, then knock it on the end with a hammer like your driving it back in the trans. This will shock the c clip and it should pop out .
        2. If not, pull the other side and run a very thin bar through the trans and drive it out. good luck
        1. Might work, I'll try it.
        2. What makes you think the other side would come out any easier?

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        diff pin will keep you from reaching the other axle. we have a protege DX (B8 ) and the same thing is the issue. apparently there was at one point a rash of circlips that were not shaped properly and they were causing the same issue. had to remove the circlip from inside the trans with a dentist pick and thin punch... not fun.
        Sounds like you're saying I have to remove and dismantle the trans to get at it. Any chance it can be accessed from the filler hole/speedo drive hole? Or the drain plug?

I think God is pissed at me because I don't believe in Him.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have a screwdriver that will go around the diff pin and I have had to drive them out from the opposite side.

I have also gotten a strap around the inner cup and had someone pull it while i beat on a prybar (this was recent on the focuss)
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
              I have a screwdriver that will go around the diff pin and I have had to drive them out from the opposite side.

I have also gotten a strap around the inner cup and had someone pull it while i beat on a prybar (this was recent on the focuss)
              Really stupid design, to be held up by a faulty C-clip. I've probably screwed up the seal by now too, so there's no going back.

I've had Toyotas and VWs on which you only had to undo six bolts on each side to get the axle off. Super-simple. Even Subarus with roll pins are a lot easier.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Get a bigger hammer Tom.
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                  Get a bigger hammer Tom.
                  Went to Harborfreight.com, looked under Precision Hand Tools, couldn't find sledge hammer.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post

Perhaps a human sacrifice is in order, the god of olde seemed to like those!

Or maybe make sure the axle is as near straight as possible before appling force.

A slide hammer has helped me in the past, but as Festyboy has warned, you could cause damage to the axle using it. I did not need to apply a lot of force so much as it needed to have the correct vector and it popped out on the second hit.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                      1. Perhaps a human sacrifice is in order, the god of olde seemed to like those!

2. Or maybe make sure the axle is as near straight as possible before appling force.

3. A slide hammer has helped me in the past, but as Festyboy has warned, you could cause damage to the axle using it. I did not need to apply a lot of force so much as it needed to have the correct vector and it popped out on the second hit.
                      1. Will look for suitable human sacrifice. Perhaps at Democratic headquarters here in STL.

2. Right, am aware of this.

3. Axle damage not an issue.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I had issues getting mine out too, if its a junk axel, just yank everything out of the cup, use a drill or a grinder to cut a hole in the side of the cup, and Afro engineer a slide pull hammer to it..that's what I did, removing the transmission is unnecessary.

I've heard people get results with a pry bar on each side too but I couldn't. Once the axel sweats itself inside the gear they just don't want to move lol..g/l
                        Last edited by zoom zoom; 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Mine took quite a bit of force..more than 2 hits with a pull hammer.. actually, my arm was sore for a week. But once the C clip starts thru it just slides right out. I also didn't put a new seal in mine, and haven't had any leaks at all in the last 10k miles or so..
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Thanks all, gotta sign off for now. Methinx Harbor Freight is in my future. Slide hammer.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I usually just rent em from azone or advance..use and take it back lol.. better than overpaying for one that's made to break from harbor fakes
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                              X