Exhaust system transplant from 93 to 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust system transplant from 93 to 88

My 88LX exhaust system has sprung a leak and can't be tested for a smog certificate renewal. Midas wants $400+ to replace everything aft of the catalytic converter. I'm thinking of taking the entire exhaust system (everything from the 3-bolt attach point just behind the grill to the tail pipe) from my latest 93 parts car over to the LX.

I'm wondering if everything is the same. I know the carb'd cars have a large-diameter molded S-shaped hose that connects somewhere on or near the catalytic converter. Is this stuff all the same on fuel-injected models? Aside from the 3 bolts up front, is it just rubber hangar brackets? Will I have any interference from engine support, suspension, or anything else in trying to transplant the entire exhaust system in one piece?
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

well when i put my new exhaust on it was a real pain just to get the main section from the cat back to the muffler pipe on the rubber mounts, I don't know if your going to be able to move it around enough to hang it without dissambly of some parts.

I could be wrong but I don't think you have to worry about the years on the festivas, the exhausts are the same. The 02 sensor should be up on the manifold on all festiva's right?

Logan

Comment

exhaust

Sure, the sensor on the exhaust manifold (Is is oxygen?) is the same, but I know there's a double-right-angle large(3/4") dia hose that connects somewhere near the fwd end of the cat.

I'm disassembling a 92 soon. I'll get him over on his back wtihin a week or two and pull his exhaust (which is probably rotten) to see what it's like. surely the 93 will be the same as the 92.
      88L black, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

fuel injected festys do not have the AIR tube that the carbs have,
        so it will not work.

but i think you can use everything behind the catalytic converter on either

Comment

exhaust transplant

Right. The only gotcha there is whether or not I can successfully disconnect the pipes from the aft end of the catalytic converters on both donor and recipient.
          88L black, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Working...
          X