Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stalls in gear when brake applied (Automatic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stalls in gear when brake applied (Automatic)

my car (now that I fixed the charging problem) will stall when I put it in gear with the brake applied.... and when I do get it in gear the car has no power or acceleration ESPECIALLY on hills.... right now I cannot get the car out of my yard under its own power..... it runs and idles fine, I can even give it gas when in park and neutral, it will rev. Any suggestions?????
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Check your throttle body and air tubing for traces of oil. If this is the case ut could be blow by, or the 'seal between the baffel and valve cover, or need rings

Comment

timing...
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I had one do something similar. It turned out to be a loose plug wire. The car started up fine but any time I came to a stop sign it started to stumble and stall. New plug wires fixed my problem.

Comment

I'll check into getting into a new set of wires, don't know when they were changed last..... I did find oil in the TB (just a little). I hope it's not the timing (even though these are non-interference) because I just hate timing engines while in the car...
          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
          Projects in the works:
          84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

If it idles fine without your foot on the brake and promptly stalls when you press on the brake pedal, a very good culprit is a defective brake booster. The brake booster is the big pie pan shape vessel behind the master cylinder. Sometimes they leak vacuum and cause the engine to stall. If you want to make sure that is the culprit, remove the vacuum line going to it and plug it (the side that goes to the engine), then start the car and press on the brake - If it runs normal, then it is the booster (aka vacuum pod). Good Luck!

Comment

^^^ looking to see if I can get a plug big enough to plug it, but using something about that size didn't really help....
              Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
              Projects in the works:

Comment

it's not the booster if it stalls while going into gear. Andrew, buy, borrow or steal a vaccum gauge and report the readings.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Did it have this problem before you fixed the charging problem?
                  If not go back and double check that something didn't get accidentally bumped and unplugged, vac hose or electrical plug.
                  Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                  1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

I don't know, as I could never get the car to run long enough to figure this problem out, I believe it did, but like I said there's no real way of telling since I couldn't get the car to that point prior to fixing the chargining problem
                    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                    Projects in the works:

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      it's not the booster if it stalls while going into gear. Andrew, buy, borrow or steal a vaccum gauge and report the readings.
                      Will likely be borrowing one this evening....
                      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                      Projects in the works:

Comment

I didn't get the vacuum tester today, but I have arranged to take a friend to and from a doctor's appointment, he has a whole slew of tools (some of which will make you wonder) and I'm also working on removing a fuel pump to be transplanted into the ranger I intend to purchase from him....
                        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                        Projects in the works:

Comment

Still haven't had a chance to work on it, I'm looking @ probably monday since the friend I'm getting the tools from couldn't give them to me the other day and I've got a side job with him tomorrow was in Charlotte,NC today (left at 6 and ran straight down did some running and came back) now i'm beat....
                          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                          Projects in the works:

Comment

Think I may have gotten it narrowed down to a hose clamp not holding a connection down well enough....
                            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                            Projects in the works:

Comment

Working...
                            X