Temperature sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature sensor

I changed out a radiator in my friend's 89 automatic.
    I got 3 rads before supposedly getting the right one. All three had the same part number. All three were supposedly right for the 89 auto that has the one year only efi system with vacuum advance.

The first rad was a single core with a bent over trans fluid cooler line. the second was dual core but had no bung for the temperature sensor. This rad has a bung on the lower right side (as you face the front.) for a sensor. The third rad I got had the bung but the threads did not match the sensor that came out of the old rad.

At the urging of Jack (festar, fessup) I installed the rad with a plastic, plug that seals up the rad at the sensor bung. I left the wires unplugged. The temp gauge works. The rad fan cuts on when it gets into the operating range.

I don't know what this sensor does.
    The sensor in the water jacket turns on the fan. I think the sensor on the upper right side of the block as you face the car controls the temp gauge.

Anybody?

youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

got an answer for you from Jim....it is the fan control. He does not remember if when unplugged the fan stays running or does not run at all. If it is like the one up top...I would say the fan would just always run when it is unplugged.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Temp switch for trans cooler? To turn the fan on when fluid gets warm?
      Ford Fester

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
        got an answer for you from Jim....it is the fan control. He does not remember if when unplugged the fan stays running or does not run at all. If it is like the one up top...I would say the fan would just always run when it is unplugged.
        That's not right. This is unplugged yet the fan cuts on when the needle gets into the operating range.

And the sensor in the tstat housing cuts the fan on when you unplug it.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
          That's not right. This is unplugged yet the fan cuts on when the needle gets into the operating range.

And the sensor in the tstat housing cuts the fan on when you unplug it.
          maybe the temp sensor for the tranny like ford fester suggested???
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by Ford Fester View Post
            Maybe. The bottom part of the rad is where both this sensor and the trans fluid lines are. Thoughts on this anyone?

Comment

I have an 89 service manual...I think...I am gonna have to get it.....sheeesh!!....lol
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

OK, Maybe we are on to something now. So without this sensor if the trans fluid gets hot the fan won't come on causing trouble right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ford Fester View Post
                  88' manual has this sensor as well... just another ECM input i would imagine
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                    I have an 89 service manual...I think...I am gonna have to get it.....sheeesh!!....lol
                    Oh nice!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      88' manual has this sensor as well... just another ECM input i would imagine
                      Could it then hurt the gas mileage if not installed?

Comment

looking it up now....found the book
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!

Comment

well...it does not have it....but I bet the electrical and vacuum trouble shooting guide would...I only have a 1990 and 91 manual....anybody have the 89?
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Wow. Thanks for looking.

Comment

I have the 89 but im 600 miles away ill look saturday if this is not solved by then
                              Ford Fester

Comment

Working...
                              X