Festiva Pings Bad Once Warmed up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Pings Bad Once Warmed up?

Hey everyone! Thanks for such a good site!

I hope Im posting this is the right section!
    I did a bit of searching but couldnt find anything that made sense to me.

I just bought a 1990 Festiva, fuel injected 5 speed. These are fun little cars!
    The problum im having is with pre detination. I replaced the plugs with the NGK equivalent to the manufacturers plugs, gapped them to .044 like the manufacturer told me, Replaced the cap rotor wires and air filter.
    The car still pings once its warmed up. I CAN NOT make it ping while the motor is cold. Once in a while my cooling van will kick on if im sitting idling, and it WILL kick off. So i assume my operating tempature is not the issue. It seams to run a bit over half and close or three quarters on the factory temp guage.
    Has anyone had, and diagnosed a simular pinging issue?
    Thanks guys.
    O yea, Im running regular pump gas. These little cars dont require mid or high grade fuel do they?
    Thanks for all the help and info everyone!
    Last edited by Grouper; 09-03-2011, 10:07 AM.

I run mid grade, and it killed the knock I was getting, I figure it's just because they're old engines, I read an article in HOT ROD awhile ago talking about how as engines age they require different fuel octanes.
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Timing might be too far advanced. Rotate dist body in direction of travel (forward/left) to retard. Also, check coolant temp w/ thermometer. Be sure level is well below full otherwise will spill out once warm.
      Last edited by georgeb; 09-03-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I have right at 200k on my B3 and run regular grade fuel with no knocking or pinging.
        Set timing where it belongs and it shouldn't be an issue as long as the car isn't running hot.
        Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
        1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Welcome to the site!

FYI Grouper, You can't just rotate the disty to adjust timing. Get a Haynes manual for Festivas at an auto parts store, and follow the procedure shown in there.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

actually, Tom, you can... what your doing is removing (or gaining) total advance, not Idle advance when adjusting the dizzy without grounding the ECM. i've done it to both Pepe and the 93 Sport to compensate for local fuel quality.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^^ Same here. I carry a 12mm wrench in the car and leave the bottom distributor bolt loose. If she starts to ping I pull over and back the timing off a bit.
              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                actually, Tom, you can... what your doing is removing (or gaining) total advance, not Idle advance when adjusting the dizzy without grounding the ECM. i've done it to both Pepe and the 93 Sport to compensate for local fuel quality.
                Didn't kow there was a difference in "total" advance vs. idle advance. So grounding the ECM (via the STI terminal) to rotate the disty is for affecting advance ONLY at idle?
                Last edited by TominMO; 09-04-2011, 09:30 AM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If it's got a slot, it can be adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Welcome to the site!

FYI Grouper, You can't just rotate the disty to adjust timing. Get a Haynes manual for Festivas at an auto parts store, and follow the procedure shown in there.
                    Hey everyone! Thanks for all the replys.
                    I believe the car is either to far advanced or running a bit hot.
                    I bought this car to save coin, and i will buy a manual if i have to. But I figurd id wait untill the clutch went if i could help it!
                    As far as setting the timing, Do I just confirm im at 750rpm, and ground out the STI plug, then set to 10 degreese to start?
                    If thats the case then I have one question?! Should be timing mark(on the pully) be at or near the timing mark/guage on the timing cover? Or should it be lined up with the little "pin" that sticks out by the pully on the top side of the pully? When I checked the timing yesterday befor I learned about the STI plug, I couldnt find my timing mark with my light untill I looked way up by that little pin. without grounding the STI my timing mark was a few inches up past the regular timing marks/guage on the timing cover.
                    Im going to head out right now to check it again after grounding the plug.

And if im running to hot....well, what should these little things be running at?
                    Thanks!
                    Last edited by Grouper; 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I would ignore the book for now and just back off on the timing a smidgen to see if it fixes the ping issue. The op temp would depend on the thermostat; some are as high as 195 degrees. But it could be faulty or the rad could be clogged causing slight overheating. Beyond halfway is hotter than any of my 3 run. I would check it w/ a long-stemmed thermometer at the cap outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        Didn't kow there was a difference in "total" advance vs. idle advance. So grounding the ECM (via the STI terminal) to rotate the disty is for affecting advance ONLY at idle?
                        yeah, the computer is set to run X* of timing at idle with the understanding that the engine has been timed properly physically. after that the dizzy has a total allowable timing setting (i.e. 36* advance at 3400 rpm total) and the ECU retards the timing as needed from the programed timing curves.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

the computer takes over after the O2 sensor warms up which may be why the ping starts then. the ignition control module is also invovled, being used by the computer when the O2 sensor is warm. the ignition control module can be affected by heat and should be bedded in di-electric heat transfer paste. as mentioned, the computer "learns" where to make adjustments from the factory settings and stores the numbers in its volatile memory. if the battery is disconnected it loses its memory and takes about 20 miles of driving to "re-learn" them.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Well Guys, I know its been a while, But I wanted to let you know I retarded the timing enough so the car wouldnt ping under load, And it was all good for a few weeks, maby a month, But all of a sudden its pinging again! I checked the dizzy and it hasnt moved. i tightend both bolts snug, and i havnet switched gas stations. And the strage thing about it is, its slightly inconsistant. most times it will ping. then im driving down the road, and i throw it in 5th to lug it, to show my friend the pinping.... and i cant make it ping. I have also lost HUGE power and i have a large increase in fuel consumption. This leads me to believe I have other issues assides from timing causeing this pinging, and i have retarded the timing way farther than it should be, trying to fix my pinging which i now believe is caused by something else.
                            Can anybody give any advice on what to check next. I strongly do not think the car is running to warm.
                            Im running reg grade pump gas, and she doesnt puff blue, but her oil definitly seems to dissapear if thats a clue.....
                            Thanks guys!
                            Last edited by kartracer46; 03-02-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

bring you engine up to temp, then get a DVOM and unplug your o2 sensor. attach the pos side to the o2 plug and the neg to ground and observe the voltage. it should swing while the engine is running (between 0.100 and 0.900 volts) if it doesn't swing back and forth within that range, replace the o2 sensor (with a DENSO sensor only).

another thing to check for is vaccum leaks around the intake. they may only present themselves when the engine is warm.

Comment

Working...
                              X