Worn Bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worn Bushing

My Automatic 93 won't shift into Drive unless you first shift into Second. I know it's a bushing, but the Festiva bushings are obsolete, so what are my options? Can anybody help by giving me a part number for a Mazda, Aspire, etc.? Thanks!

Are all the gears out of alignment with the selector lever? It might be the cable adjustment.

Comment

It doesn't seem like all the gears are out of alignment.

Comment

nvm, i didn't read the auto part >.<
        Last edited by zoom zoom; 09-07-2011, 06:26 PM.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

^^ that information is for a manual shifter. He has an auto so they are completely different.
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

it is just a matter of adjustment....no bushings. I had the same problem with one I bought and it is always a little off when you swap a tranny or something. Very easy fix....just need to loosen a nut inside on the shifter and adjust accordingly and then tighten.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

There is a bushing where the cable connects to the selector shaft. When that bushing wears out, it will cause exactly the symptom listed by the OP. Unfortunately, I do not have any replacement information.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                There is a bushing where the cable connects to the selector shaft. When that bushing wears out, it will cause exactly the symptom listed by the OP. Unfortunately, I do not have any replacement information.
                really....didn't notice that....I know mine was doing the same thing and just needed adjusted.
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

yup. Hula had that problem before I swapped her to a 5spd. Found the bushing that was supposed to be in the selector shaft arm was missing.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

yup. Hula had that problem before I swapped her to a 5spd. Found the bushing that was supposed to be in the selector shaft arm was missing.
                    are you talking about inside the case?
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    I will sleep when I die!

Comment

just took these out of my 1990 shop manual.....shows a pin only.....I believe that is all that is on both of mine, all I have ever seen anyway.

89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!

Comment

there's a very thin-walled nylon bushing pressed into the selector shaft arm where the pin passes thru. I'm betting it was not serviced separately, therefore, it would not be called out in the shop manual.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

there's a very thin-walled nylon bushing pressed into the selector shaft arm where the pin passes thru. I'm betting it was not serviced separately, therefore, it would not be called out in the shop manual.
                          ahhhhhh....lol...I am sure when I took my other one apart I didn't even notice it and I am sure it is part of my driveway.
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Thanks, FB71 and GenevaDirt. I just have to get this car in top shape for the winter, so I've been struggling with this issue and a possible oil leak. Again, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                              it is just a matter of adjustment....no bushings. I had the same problem with one I bought and it is always a little off when you swap a tranny or something. Very easy fix....just need to loosen a nut inside on the shifter and adjust accordingly and then tighten.
                              Geneva Im having an issue with my shifter and I want to try your fix, can you explain loosen a nut inside the shifter and adjust, I dont understand
                              91 Festiva GL 236,000 and still going

Comment

Working...
                              X