No announcement yet.

CV wont fit into 5 speed trans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not as tricky as you guy's are making it...just a piece of coat hanger should do it, just don't trash the seals with the hanger. Once it's all the way through just bend an L shape in the hanger, beauty. Also the term "spider gears" is kind-of a slange term that guys throw at all 4 of those gears interchangeably. The gears the axles go through are the Side gears, and the smaller one's (the spiders, cause they walk around the side gears) are really pinion gears. That "pin" you see passing between them is the pinion pin.
    When guys grenade their trans axles doing what we refer to as "one wheeled wonders" or one wheel burn outs, those pinion gears get super super heated to the point they weld themselves to the pinion pin. Then the pin breaks the drift pin holding it in place, and then it all gets loose again and spits the pin out, while the diff carrier is spinning madly.
    At this point it's no longer referd to as a pinion pin, because it's now become a "window maker" ha, ha, ha,
    Last edited by iceracerdude; 09-17-2011, 04:58 PM.
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
      It's not as tricky as you guy's are making it...just a piece of coat hanger should do it, just don't trash the seals with the hanger. Once it's all the way through just bend an L shape in the hanger, beauty. Also the term "spider gears" is kind-of a slange term that guys throw at all 4 of those gears interchangeably. The gears the axles go through are the Side gears, and the smaller one's (the spiders, cause they walk around the side gears) are really pinion gears. That "pin" you see passing between them is the pinion pin.
      When guys grenade their trans axles doing what we refer to as "one wheeled wonders" or one wheel burn outs, those pinion gears get super super heated to the point they weld themselves to the pinion pin. Then the pin breaks the drift pin holding it in place, and then it all gets loose again and spits the pin out, while the diff carrier is spinning madly.
      At this point it's no longer referd to as a pinion pin, because it's now become a "window maker" ha, ha, ha,

Every time you post I have an urge to go back to the junk yard and buy their rio transmission just so I can tear it down and put it back together. You make it sound sooo simple. >.<
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I know I make it sound simple, but it is for me now, really.
        The thing for me is, I actually have a Ford factory manual on cd, and it showed me how to completely disassemble, and reassemble it step by step. I've made copies of that cd and have sold several of them here and at the aspire site.
        I'm not trying to talk people into taking transaxles apart, because Lord knows I can think of several guy's capable of breaking cannon balls with rubber mallets. But I also know a lot of the guy's on here and at aspire are very talented, I'm just trying to help those guy's with talent and determination, never been inside one, get out of trouble cheap.
        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Many thanks to iceracerdude!!

The pics have really help me understand the 'side gear drop out problem'.

I recently brought home a B3/4-speed combo in the bed of my truck. The JY employees had pulled the axles for me, because they wanted to sell them to someone else. I said "no, because the side gears will drop". They said "we always just run a wire through them". I said "okay".

I still don't see how a wire will hold them in place. Or will I just have to work them back into place, if they shift and end up hanging on the wire?

Thanks again.
          '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Don't ever turn the transmission while the axles are out, the side gears will stay in place unless you turn the trans while it is in a gear. Even if you leave one axle in while you pull the other one, the side gear without an axle in place will drop down if you turn the trans. Keep in neutral. There is a PVC pipe size that is a pretty close fit going into the side gears from each side.

Comment

OK, well today I got the engine out, and the trans off. I re-RTV'd the oil pan gasket and decided to take a crack at the trans. I got it open but that was about it, as soon as it came apart, a small pin and at least 1 ball bearing fell out. Lets just say things have gone better for me. I am almost to the point where I am just going to take the trans to a local shop just so they can re-assemble it. Im afraid that I will loose or forget a part and end up having to buy a new trans or something.
              2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
              1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
              1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by jjk1224 View Post
                OK, well today I got the engine out, and the trans off. I re-RTV'd the oil pan gasket and decided to take a crack at the trans. I got it open but that was about it, as soon as it came apart, a small pin and at least 1 ball bearing fell out. Lets just say things have gone better for me. I am almost to the point where I am just going to take the trans to a local shop just so they can re-assemble it. Im afraid that I will loose or forget a part and end up having to buy a new trans or something.
                it would be cheaper to buy a new tranny then to have someone do that work for you. Then when you are done studying you can take a shot at rebuilding it.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Do you suggest that I suck it up and go for a second attempt? I will take pictures in the morning of my problems, maybe someone will be able to walk me through the process. I have no problem with working on things with cylinders, but gears scare me!

Comment

Maybe you could snag a copy of iceracerdudes rebuild-a-tranny cd and it would tell you everything you need to know? Idk what he charges for it tho?
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Do you suggest that I suck it up and go for a second attempt? I will take pictures in the morning of my problems, maybe someone will be able to walk me through the process. I have no problem with working on things with cylinders, but gears scare me!
                      not saying suck it up....I just think it would cost a lot more to take it somewhere then it would to just buy a new tranny.
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Its just a shame, my poor tranny only has 90K on it and besides the side gear problem it is in perfect shape(At least before i took a wrench to it).

Comment

Its just a shame, my poor tranny only has 90K on it and besides the side gear problem it is in perfect shape(At least before i took a wrench to it).
                          sure it can be fixed....just would not pay a shop to do it. Get a manual or buy that dvd from ice....you can do it....but get another tranny in the mean time (if you need it fixed now),
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          I will sleep when I die!

Comment

If it's already broke you cant really break it can you? I mean its all up to you, but i would think any transmission shop would charge quite a bit just to look at it.. maybe call around and see what they say? Might not be toooo bad since it's already out of the car.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Do it! You wont learn unless you try.
                              89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                              My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                                Don't ever turn the transmission while the axles are out, the side gears will stay in place unless you turn the trans while it is in a gear. Even if you leave one axle in while you pull the other one, the side gear without an axle in place will drop down if you turn the trans. Keep in neutral. There is a PVC pipe size that is a pretty close fit going into the side gears from each side.
                                If you leave one axle in while you change-out the other side, DON'T turn the axle that is still in place while the other side is axleless.

Comment

Working...
                                X