Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns over, won't start.

1990 Ford Festiva L Plus EFI Auto.

Alrighty.. been a while since I've been on here, I've been too busy to even think about my little guy sitting out on the front lawn (been working usually odd shifts like 8am-9pm, or something idiotic like that. ).

BUT. The tank Link gave me (thank you so much!) is finally on. When I took off the old tank, I found several 1-2mm holes, the lines (of the tank, that is, not the fuel lines) running from it were rusted off, and I honestly don't know how it kept the car going for so long.. Honestly took more work to get it on than expected, but I'm a complete novice with car repair..

Now there's no fuel leakage whatsoever (I put in about 3/4 gallon, turned the key so fuel pump would engage), and I can finally get around to figuring what's the problem.

So, question time:

...What in the heck do I do now? I put new plug wires on it, used battery, Link's tank. That's it so far. I know it DID run when we test drove it, and I'm wondering what could be a possible problem I can check?

The starter sounds good, it's turns over and over but won't start. I'm hoping it's something small.. after it's running I'm going to take it to a mechanic to give it a once-or-twice-over. All I need is the darn thing to start.

Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated, and please remember I'm a novice and might need a little/heckuva lot more explaining.

~Spike
    Last edited by Spike; 09-16-2011, 08:39 PM.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

The usual to check would be fuel pressure and spark. But since it did run it most likely has something to do with what you changed.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

I would grab some carb cleaner / starter fluid and spray it into the air box and try and start the car. If it starts then you have a fuel issue.

if it doesn't start then you have a spark problem (and possibly still a fuel problem as well). first check the plug wires and check the main line to the coil from the disty cap. Sometimes that main line will get disconnected and is easy to miss. (I've done it...others have to lol)

these are just two quick and simple checks. keep us posted
      Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

what about the fuel cut out switch... (roll over switch) may have gotten bumped.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

it is very possible. especially with replacing an entire gas tank.
          Walth

Comment

I would put 4-5 gallons in to completely submerge the pump. Make sure that you hear the pump run when you first turn the key (experience with other makes, hope it is applicable to Festivas).

Comment

Alright. I'll go and pick up some starter fluid in the morning when I pick up my check.. I'll make sure and check here to see if there's anything else that might need to be checked/bought.

Where's the 'fuel cut out switch', and how do I check fuel pressure? I'll be sure to check ANYTHING I'm told to. I actually have a day off for once.

Sorry I'm such a novice with this stuff.

~Spike

EDIT: And you can hear the pump pumpin'.
              Last edited by Spike; 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM.
              1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
                The usual to check would be fuel pressure and spark. But since it did run it most likely has something to do with what you changed.
                I should note:

I mean it ran when I first looked at it, before the fuel problem.. At which point I bought it for $250 + a tow. Now it doesn't start, even though I finally repaired the fuel issue.. and am wondering what to do now. :p

~Spike
                1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

you don't have any carb cleaner? don't worry about "novice" it's all good

just wish you could figure it out tonight.

the left cover behind the back seat needs to be removed (I think the aspires have a trap door) and it is a little black box with a red dot on the top. if you smack it with a screwdriver it should pop up and then just push it down and it's working. I just check it to make sure.
                  Walth

Comment

Hi Spike.

In an earlier post you mentioned...IIRC...that you pulled all the plug wires off at once, before you put the new ones on.

Maybe you are off one position on the distributor cap. Check the timing mark on the crank pulley, line it up. Then pull the dizzy (distributor) cap. Look where the rotor is pointing. It will be 'hitting' under one of the cap 'towers', where the plug wire plugs into the cap.

Does that plug wire go to spark plug number 1? Number 1 is furthest from the tranny, on your left as you face the motor. The rotor spins counter clock wise, Trace the firing order.

Maybe this will help.
                    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Fill up your tank more, 3/4 gallon probably isn't enough. Youtube is your best friend when you don't know how to do something. The videos may not be of a festiva but the same basic method is applied.
                      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                      14 C7 Z51

Comment

HOTCHA!:blob6:

MAJOR UPDATE:

Checked fuel cut out switch, whapped it and turned back on (it was still on, but did it anyway), replaced spark plugs, tightened battery connections.

Then I went to the plug wires again. To what I've read, the correct order was 1-3-4-2, but for some odd reason, mine is 1-2-4-3. Maybe I just found the wrong info. Thanks, BigElCat! I likely wouldn't have gone back to them otherwise.

AND HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED.

Now for the update:

IT RUNS, BABY. IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!! (And so quiet, too!)

Thank you all so much.

Now to get it off the tire ramps (so we won't get so many angry stares from townfolk).

More to come as it happens.

~Spike
                        1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Alrighty.

Drove it down the street (about 1/3 of a block) to our back field.

It groans a lot, mainly from the rear. When making a sharp turn, it makes a rick-rick-rick sound from the wheels (rims too big? they're aftermarket somethings), tires are 155/80/13s.

The check engine light comes on for about 2-3 minutes, then goes off for 5 or so. Then it comes back on again.

Just noticed recently the guy took out the emergency brake completely (thanks a lot, person!), lever and everything. So my e-brake light is on all the time.

Also, there's a switch lying on the floor that turns on the cooling fan. Anything I can do about that? Maybe getting the fan to turn on on its own? It almost over-heated in the time I had it running, until I turned on the fan. Kinda don't want to always have to turn it on, lest I forget and something serious happens.

Checked fluid levels, they seem fine. It now has 1.75 gallons of fuel in it, though the fuel gauge hasn't changed at all.

Lots of fun stuff for me to tinker with while I'm waiting for the cash to title, register, and plate it. (Oh.. and get that costly insurance.)

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Might be driving down alley-ways to a mechanic in a few days, unplated. We'll see.

Thanks so much!

~Spike

EDIT: Oh, and it feels like the shocks are bad.. though that might be how Festivas usually are, I'd have no idea!
                          Last edited by Spike; 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM.
                          1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

well, if you feel that it's running okay now, I'd start a new thread. I started a thread for each festiva of mine just to update, ask ?'s, show progress, etc.

you have a lot going on there in that post so just a few thoughts going down the line:

the wheels: check that the lug studs are tight...if they're getting loose they'll make some noise like that. Also, at sharp turn radius the axles (once "going" bad) will start to click.

the gas level probably won't go up until you get more in there lol

struts...is there speckles of oil all over your back bumper? haven't really done any highway driving I presume...so probably not. If a strut is blown the back end may sag and will bounce horribly! With good struts obviously you'll have some slow movement (hopefully)

I would start using the search feature too...search vague and read a lot...then refine your search...then ask ?'s<< and read that twice
                            Walth

Comment

Thanks a lot.

I'll try what you suggested in the morning, and start a-searching s'more.

What I can't figure out'll go in a thread sooner or later.

Thank you all.

~Spike
                              1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Working...
                              X