No announcement yet.

bleeding brakes help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wmwatt or pgh5spd when you say you do it by the gravity method are you talking about the mc or the whole system? By doing it that way will the end result be the same as using the pump and hold the pedal method? I was under the impression that someone had to apply the brake to force the bubbles out. How much brake fluid would it take to do all 4 lines? I have two 500ml bottles of brake fluid on hand.(approx. one quart)

I'm just curious because I've never heard of the gravity method before and if I cannot find anyone to do the brake pumping that method would be a viable alternative.

Comment

I bleed the brakes solo. I just need to be sure the brake master cylinder is full before pumping the brakes again.

My set-up includes a water bottle with a 2-3 foot length of hose on it. The hose goes all the way into the water bottle so the end of it sits at the bottom. Fill the bottle with a little bit of new brake fluid so it won't suck up any air, just in case.

Loosen the bleeder screws with a deep socket on a small ratchet. Then I put on a ratcheting 6 sided box wrench (8mm) that you flip over to tighten or loosen with. If you put that on the bleeder before the hose, you can close the bleeder valve without the possibility of air getting back into the cylinders.

With that set up, I bled the brakes in less than 15 minutes. After each time you pump the brakes (I pump 10-15 times, sometimes more for the back brakes. Look at the color of fluid coming out) make sure you refill the master cylinder reservoir.

Also, like said before, go in the pattern of farthest cylinder from the master cylinder first, working towards the master cylinder when you bleed or you might miss some air in the lines.
      Last edited by crazyrog17; 10-01-2011, 09:42 PM.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I never have anyone to help me so I use the gravity method alot. A quart should do it. Open the right rear valve, stick a hose on it into a small jar. Fill m/c and leave cap off or loose. Work the pedal slowly a couple times to clear any crud out the valve and go watch the jar slowly fill. When clean stuff replaces the dirty that is the new fluid you put in the m/c. Close the valve. Do LR, RF, and LF same way. Don't let m/c go dry during process.

Comment

If you let it go dry, you have to bleed them all over again!
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

thanks for all your input guys. It's greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X