New steering rack, turning radius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New steering rack, turning radius

So I just had my steering rack replaced Monday, it was a used one, and I noticed that my turn radius seemed to be larger while pulling into a parking space. I figured it was just that the old one being so loose and the new one being tighter or something, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. But then I noticed that I could make a tighter turn to the right than to the left.

So, I tested it out in a parking lot and sure enough my left turn was a lot wider than the right and I can turn the steering wheel about 1.25 turns to the left and around 2.5 to the right.

The shop isn't open until monday so I figured I'd check with you guys. This isn't dangerous is it? What could be the cause? Is it alignment, or the steering rack was not put on correctly? They did align the car in the shop. They should offer to fix it at no charge to me right?

It's not dangerous. When they installed the new rack they didn't put it in center. It usually takes a couple tries to get right. It's splined so it goes in a bunch of grooves. Easiest way is to count it out and move. And repeat.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

So do you think I will have to pay to get it centered?

Comment

Originally posted by damacha1 View Post
        So do you think I will have to pay to get it centered?
        No because it should had been centered before they let you have the car back, I would had never let it go out the door in my shop
        1991 Festiva B8 swap, gutted, otherwise stock-9.88@70

1974 MaverickLSX powered - 7.08@94

Comment

Is the steering wheel straight when you are going straight? Jack up the front of the car and turn the steering to lock on one side. Note the angle of the steering wheel. Repeat for opposite side. They angle from level should be the same, except backwards. If not, and the steering wheel is straight while driving straight, the douchebags reset the steering wheel during the alignment process. They didn't center the steering wheel and the rack before tightening the flex coupling. I would raise H.

Comment

Working...
          X