Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No start after auto to man swap

The car is an 89 lx.

It ran three years ago before the engine blew.

Installed rebuilded engine at sametime as I did the auto to man swap.

Brake and backup lights work. Netural safety switch has been wired together.

I have a white spark at the #4 plug. Car will not start on starting fluid.

There is no power going to the fuel pump or relay behind the back seat.

This is my second auto to man swap. Althrough the first was a 91 and this is a 89. On the 91 swap, there was a cable going from the shifter to the ing. switch so that the car could only be started in park. The 89 did not have this. So what prevents a 89 auto from starting in gear?

What else can I check to get power to the fuel pump?

When a car does not start because the saftey switches are not close. What is disabled? Fire or fuel?

What else could be wrong?

Has anyone else done a swap on a 89?

Thanks everyone for your help.

David Hodges
    Memphis Tn
    901/281/1458

Make sure the intake hoses are all tight and sealing. If one is loose tighten it and retry. If it doesnt help,hold the VAF flapper door open like 1/4 of the way while you crank engine. The VAF has a fp micro switch inside.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

You installed a clutch? There should be a switch at the clutch pedal. You have to depress the clutch and activate the switch for the starter motor to engage.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Its not repairable you can drop it off at my friends house in dixon, tn and I will pick it up from there

Comment

Apparantly it cranks okay because you were able to check the spark, right? Will the spark jump a quarter inch or so? It should start on ether (starting fluid) unless the timing is way off. The safety switches (clutch and park) only affect the cranking. The inertia sw turns off the fuel pump. There is no ign shutoff besides open circuits.

Comment

If the fuel pump isn't getting power at all, inertia switch is the first thing to check. It can really mes your day up.

Comment

Working...
            X