Lower ball joint boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower ball joint boot

I guess that's redundant since there's no upper ball joint, but anyway, does anyone have a source for lower ball joint boots? FMS doesn't seem to have them but I'm pretty sure I once bought some elsewhere. My joints are fine now, but the boots are split. The ball joints would last a lot longer if I could replace the boots now.

You will have to do a search on this forum, but I know Energy Suspension makes a boot that will fit the ball joint on these cars

Comment

From an old Skeeter Keeper posting - The ball joint boot is energy suspension part#9.13101. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof View Post
        From an old Skeeter Keeper posting - The ball joint boot is energy suspension part#9.13101. Good Luck!
        Thats for the tie Rod. I dont think they are the same?
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

It is cheaper to replace the whole lower control arm.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

As long as your ball joints are good it's worth buying the boots.

I think I picked up some from an auto zone for about 2-3 bucks per pair (the ones skeeter told me about). They're red and fit the ball joint well and are a touch big on the outer tie rod ends.
            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

I couldn't get a perfectly good Aspire tie-rod loose yesterday while doing a wheel alignment and wound up using a splitter tool. Of course the boot developed a split and do you think boot replacements are available in Canada (I tried numerous sources). No. You US folks that suspect that Canadians are being gouged on parts; generic Aspire tie-rod ends ranged from $39-54 and the Moog variety best price was $129. Curious to hear about US prices, and that someone (does Auto Zone ship?) actually sells replacement boots. While all this was going on I did also discover the inner tie-rod was 'cooked'. The Haynes Festy/Aspire manual is very silent about this curious part and I did remove the boot on it to see what that business looks like before ordering another one.

Comment

Thanx Walth, never thought of asking at a place like AutoZone.

Bert, you know the trick on tie rods of beating on the end of the arm with a hammer and then tapping on the end of the tie rod after every 4-5 blows? Always works for me.

Comment

if you search just the 9.13101 on google shopping AssaulTECH has "free shipping" and they're 3.00 for the pair. worth a shot
                  Walth

Comment

Pgh5spd: I did all that many more times than once before I got desperate. This is not at all my first time playing with tie-rod ends. Most (up until now, all) succumb to manly tapping on the threaded-on castle nut with a 2 lb hammer, or in my case an even bigger flared nut and an even bigger hammer. But this one wouldn't budge.

Comment

in the HELP section of most parts stores they sell a 2 pack of boots...1 will fit the tie rod end and 1 will fit the LCA....so you will need 2 packs if you are doing both LCA's.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

^^ X2

I've used those but I don't remember the part numbers. Most HELP sections carry them though.
                        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                          Thats for the tie Rod. I dont think they are the same?
                          I'm confused too. That thread is talking about LCA boots for the ball joint, but Skeeter gave a listing for the tie rod end boot. Maybe it can fit both.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 11-26-2011, 07:13 PM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
                            As long as your ball joints are good it's worth buying the boots.

I think I picked up some from an auto zone for about 2-3 bucks per pair (the ones skeeter told me about). They're red and fit the ball joint well and are a touch big on the outer tie rod ends.
                            yes, they fit both LCA ball joints and outer tie rod ends...
                            Walth

Comment

Took some measurements with my dial gauge, for Aspire parts. I imagine the Festy parts will be the same.
                              .................................................. ...........Energy Suspension boot part # and hole dimension
                              Aspire tie rod end, ball joint shaft thickness = .594" ............. 9.13101........ .590"
                              Aspire lower control arm, ball joint shaft thickness = .629" .... 9.13119........ .650"

The second part # seems to be a better fit for the LCA. Would be worth trying this out. I may have to do this, since both my LCAs on Danny have bad ball joint boots.

EDIT: I see that the hole on the second part # is larger than the shaft, so maybe that's why the same smaller one (9.13101) is used for both applications.
                              Last edited by TominMO; 11-26-2011, 08:36 PM.
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X