New axle new problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New axle new problem

The previous drivers side axle in the Aspire clicked on corners so I replaced it today. It's always pulled hard to the right on certain roads and when it pulls hard would make a wobble sound. The alignment is close enough it shouldn't pull that hard. I replaced the sway bar bushings today also. It has been hit on the passenger side front and the cross beam is bent (see below). The problem now is it sounds awful. I guess it's pulling on the new boot. I'm going to measure the axle tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it's the same. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm guessing the subframe is bent. Well the only positive thing is now I know that everything on Aspire is worth swapping to the Festiva if I have to. I bet the 97 gearing will be awesome in the Festiva.

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Unless that's just the picture ,man that looks really bad . Like not safe to drive bad .
    New build on the way .

Comment

Not sure but that wheel looks toed inward no?
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

*sigh* Think I figured it out.. forgot to tighten the lug nuts on the drivers side duh. I did snug them down with the impact just forgot the final tightening still work loose though. Unfortunately put a hole in the inner cv boot so going to have to do it again eventually. Put some epoxy on it not holding my breath. I bet it'll still pull regardless.. the tires were turned in the pic.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

whats going on with that picture? it's so weird, almost makes me dizzy.. is the car sitting on the rotor on the driver side or what?
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

That sway bar bushing mount looks twisted?
            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

The picture is twisted a little and the tires are turned. I have bent it out and down a little since that pic was taken. I need to do it some more and weld a plate in there. Truthfully if it drives like it did or better not going to mess with it. That mount is bent but doesn't seem to effect the sway bars alignment.
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32 View Post
                *sigh* I bet it'll still pull regardless...
                By looking at the pic I bet it pulls just like before you changed the axle.
                Bent frames, bent subframes and bent mounting points do not fix themselves.
                After 22+ years of alignments and auto repair I would be amazed if the alignment is near close to where it belongs.
                Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
                  By looking at the pic I bet it pulls just like before you changed the axle.
                  Bent frames, bent subframes and bent mounting points do not fix themselves.
                  After 22+ years of alignments and auto repair I would be amazed if the alignment is near close to where it belongs.
                  What would a fair price be for frame straighting? My PO must have hit a big snow bank.
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Still pulls the same. Only bad on starting out and on slanted highways over 55. The rear is out of whack also not really worth fixing either. It actually pulls to the left not right. I wonder if I set the drivers side tire camber in if it'll help any. Ehh it's a $200 car.
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                      What would a fair price be for frame straighting? My PO must have hit a big snow bank.
                      We don't do the actual frame straightening, we send it to a frame shop.
                      Usually if it's not to major anywhere from $200-$600. Really depends on how many hours it needs to be on the rack.
                      Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                      1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
                        We don't do the actual frame straightening, we send it to a frame shop.
                        Usually if it's not to major anywhere from $200-$600. Really depends on how many hours it needs to be on the rack.
                        Ok Im gonna try a one festy axle. They are 1/4" shorter. I had to fab my upper eng mount 1" in order to get my engine square in the eng bay. It doesnt pull but the problem I'm having is that the axles are really tight. There is NO end play @ all. They are really bound up once you uou get them installed. The PO replaced the whole front clip & one door. But you cant see any signs of damage any where. I believe one side of the subframe has been pushed over & back somewhat. I bought the car for a parts car,so its not the end of the world. I just enjoy driving it,so it would be nice to figure out whats causing it.

Comment

Really ? Maybe a bank hidden in the snow ! Haha
                          New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post

Really ? Maybe a bank hidden in the snow ! Haha
                            LOL But I didnt find any hidden money !

Comment

Working...
                            X